1. Default Denver to Los Angeles

Hi All

As many other I followed the Forum for quite a while and now it is almost time. In two weeks my Roadtrip Starts.
    Traveling Time is 4 Weeks so the whole May we will be on the US Roads. Now I wanted to ask you for some tipps or suggestions on the route we plan to do:
    Start in Denver / Moab with the 3 Parks/ Torrey with Park/ Scenic 12 BW / Panguitch for Bryce/ Page for Lake Powel and Canyons/ Monument valley/ Grand Canyon/ Kingman Route 66/ Hoover Dam/ Las Vegas/ Death Valley/ #395 throu the great Park/ San Francisco/ Highway 1 to Los Angeles (end)

I know its a long and big route and maybe we will not get everything but I think it will give a good glance or overview on many nice parts of the southwest and california.

What do you think? Is there something in my "fix" points I should not miss? Some Events or Highlights?

Thank you for your advises in advance, I hope I will get some insider tipps

kind regards!

South of England.

Default Here we go.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think you have a great trip planned and with 4 weeks you should have no problem in folowing your itinerary without being too rushed.

You could possibly visit a few other places depending on whether you are tied in with bookings. From Denver you could head towards Estes Park and visit the Bear Lake area of Rocky mountain NP. As you travel along I70 you can take a detour over Loveland Pass, crossing the continental divide on US6 to Dillon. Lovely views from the top of the pass as you climb to almost 12000feet. Near Fruita you will find the Colorado National Monument where you can drive through the tunnels around the rim. To get to Moab, turn off I70 a junction earlier and drive by the almost deserted town of Cisco and drive through Castle valley on 128. A lovely detour as you drive through the red rocks alongside the river and it hardly costs you any time. When you visit Bryce canyon, if you go to the far end of the canyon first and visit the viewpoints on the way back, they will all be on your side of the road and you won't have to keep pulling across traffic. [Rubys Inn is a nice place to stop] Between Monument valley and Grand canyon you will find the Cameron Trading post, not a bad place to look around the store and stretch your legs and get something to eat. You can get gas there as well. I would consider booking an Alcatraz tour in San Francisco, a very good experience followed by an evening meal on Pier 39.

One place that has escaped you and one I would highly recommend is Zion NP, a detour between Bryce and Page. A beautiful drive through the Mt Carmel tunnel into the park and a stroll along the Virgin river between the towering Red rocks is quite something. Stay over in the lovely little town of Springdale.

When you say "395 through the great park", I presume you are referring to Yosemite ? You actually enter Yosemite on CA120 [Tioga Pass] and the valley etc is then accessable from the west side of the mountains. As well as the Valley you should find time to go up to Glacier point and near the south entrance Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia trees. Do not miss the Glacier point views !! I would plan for at least 2 nights in or around Yosemite.

***** Tioga Pass is currently closed, but there is a very good chance of it being open when you travel. There has not been much snow this year and an early opening is expected but check before travelling. **************

Any questions just ask. Have a great trip and please drop by and share your experience with us all !!

3. Default

Hi Southwest Dave
    Thank you for your Reply and tipps! I will check outh the Loveland Pass for sure :D Just saw some nice pictures!