Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some Advice Please 30 days travelling in RV 26/11 to 30th December

Hi everyone seeking some advice. Previously we have traveled in a RV same time of the year but 6 years ago. We are from Australia and at that time had 3 children with us. We did LA to San Fran Sacramento, to Yosemite across to Vegas To Zion then down to Arizona, Phoenix, Tucson, across to San Diego, back up to Anaheim and home.

I worked it out last time and it was great had some set dates but we had the RV for 30 days and even though there was snow and it was cold we were fine in the RV and didn't break any rules:)

So we want to go back to Vegas, to go to Zion, Bryce then maybe route 395 if that is ok to travel this time of year to Lake Tahoe then up route 5 to Seattle, come back down route 101 to San Fran to LA.

Question is are these road ok to travel. Are there enough things to site see and do up and down to Seattle? We have 4 weeks are are use to driving 10 hours plus here in Australia just in one days travel, not that that is our intention.

Thanks so much and we have 30 days :)

Default So unpredictable.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

As you know the weather is totally unpredictable and even moreso in the depths of winter, so you can expect anything. Along the coast things should be more settled but many places inland [Tahoe, Crater Lake, Mt Ranier etc] are where you could run into weather difficulties and a lot of the campgrounds etc shut down from October. Travelling at this time of year is always going to be unpredictable and [in my opinion] hard to book in advance as you could see delays, storms or not even being able to get where you are going. Of course this can be "Adventurous" in it's own right and if you are prepared to 'Wing it' and in extreme circumstances find a hotel room, it's possible. I guess you are familiar with 'winterizing' where you may have to drain all the water tanks in the RV and lose the facilities that come with it.

Most roads are fine to travel, and Interstates are a priority to keep open but only if the weather allows it, so even they can be subject to closures [usually brief] and poor driving conditions. Some hotels have family rooms that can sleep one extra [5] and it's likely to be cheaper than an RV with all things considered, so as much as I love RV'ing, I personally would opt for Hotels if I could only travel at this time of year. We were in an RV at Bryce in late October a few years ago, which is at high elevation, and managed to survive minus 15c !!

Thanks so much for the welcome and comments.

It was minus 15 when we were at the Grand Canyon back in 2009 so not keen on that again. After some thought since we have been to Zion, GC, and you are correct about the roads, we might not do that again.

So instead thinking of just leaving LA and head to Seattle we will come back and stay at San Fran as we want to be there for Christmas.

Is it possible to get to Lake Tahoe or that depends on the whether. We love RV'ing so will go for that option being 30 days.

There looks like lots of mountains and walks up around Oregon. Do you have any suggestions then for some adventures for us. We all love our bush walks, loved Zion it was amazing. We have been to Yosemite.

Also if we have 30 days is that now too much time for doing this? Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed and thanks a bunch. Julia :)

I don't think you can ever "too much time" when travelling the US. ;-) What I would do is open up the map and look at all the possibilities and then spend a little time researching them and what you are likely to get at the time of year you travel, remembering that it is unpredictable !lol I mean you could spend a little time south, San Diego, Joshua Tree NP, Mojave Nat preserve for example at the start or end of your trip. At the start you could do this and drive up 395 towards Tahoe, you will have to keep an eye on the weather and conditions throughout your trip and adjust accordingly. The Columbia River Gorge near Portland always looks welcoming and there are plenty of coastal attractions. Christmas in SF sounds very inviting, one of the few City's I enjoy being in. By coincidence, we are looking at the possibility of travelling from LA to Seattle in an RV ourselves in September and if it happens this year, there will be a write up in the 'Field report' section of the forum soon after, so watch this space. ;-) [Its actually a good place to look so you can take ideas from similar trips]

Keep researching and as your trip takes shape and more questions crop up, just ask away.

Thanks heaps again.

We stayed for a week in San Diego last time so not going South of LA this time around.

I didn't know about a Field Report so I will search there.

I joined Passport America again and find that helps me as well. We live on the coast here in Australia so will certainly keep that in mind.

Think we will just cruise along and by not doing GC etc will free us up.

Have a super time I love San Fran just find it a bit expensive staying at RV park but might stay out a bit this time.

Thanks again :)

Default Looking forward to your Field Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Mitchell View Post
    I didn't know about a Field Report so I will search there.
    It would be really great if you could write up a report for us, either while you are on the road, or after you get home. And of course, we do not object to seeing as many of your photos as you would like to post. We love pictures.

Reading through the field reports can be very educational, as often people on longer trips will post what did not work, as well as all that did. You may be interested in a trip taken by a member from Queensland.

Lifey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    It would be really great if you could write up a report for us, either while you are on the road, or after you get home. And of course, we do not object to seeing as many of your photos as you would like to post. We love pictures.

Reading through the field reports can be very educational, as often people on longer trips will post what did not work, as well as all that did. You may be interested in a trip taken by a member from Queensland.

Lifey
    I wonder who that is Lifey hehehe. Im in Brisbane Julia and if we can help in any way, we certainly will. As Lifey says, check out some of the road trip reports.

Keith

Default Passport??

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Mitchell View Post
    I joined Passport America again and find that helps me as well.
    Julia, I checked out Passport America, and am wondering.... Are you only interested in staying in commercial campground. Not only is the ambiance in the State and National Parks so much greater, but it would be much cheaper than the 50% off they offer. State Parks and Forests are as well. If you are fully self contained, these would be a great alternative. None of them pack them in like parking lots, which I have experienced at some commercial parks.

Not all have full hook up, but from what I have gathered the vast majority have dump stations. If not, there is often one at a nearby truck stop. And a great number have water/electricity available. You might look at checking out some of them, although travelling as late in the year as you are, they may not be open.

Just a thought.

Lifey

Hi Keith thanks heaps. We are up on the Sunshine Coast so not far at all.

Will check out your field report. I could have done from our last trip it was amazing to say the least and we did so much.

I'm not sure if north of SAN Fran is as exciting as the whole Zion, Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Tuscon, San Diego, Yosemite was for us. Will begin to write up a bit of menu I know we will have Christmas in San Fran with a friend.

We arrive on Thanksgiving day in LA and have a few days there before picking up RV. So need some help with decent accommodation here, we will have to hire a car so we can drive a bit don't have to stay in Hollywood like we did the first time.

If can recommend any thing for this that will be a great start.

Celebrating my 6 uncles who served in the war for ANZAC today. Julia

Thanks and no not at all. Last time I can't remember but I thought I purchased a national park passport or something like that and we stayed in several national parks. I need to do some research to see if we are heading up to Seattle what national parks there are and if I need to purchase a pass for them.

Last time we found places to dump so that wasn't a problem. I will check who is open one good thing though is at this time of the year there are not a lot of people around. :)

Thanks heaps,
    Julia