1. Default New York to Stuart Florida advice for a couple of Australians

Hi
    We would just like to ask for some advice for our planned upcoming road trip from NYC (42nd st) to Stuart Florida. My wife and I have been to the United States before and I have driven from LV to San Fran then back to LV via LA. so im not entirely new to driving in your country ( even if my wife is nervous about "driving on the wrong side of the road"). After a stay in NY I plan to take 4 days (early June) to drive to Stuart. I am a member of our local AAA (called RACV) and that was supposed to allow me access to AAAs Trip Tik system, however alas the system must see that im in Australia and directs me to the international relations page..in an endless loop...Dam..We are staying with friends in Stuart that we met on a previous visit to the USA. What do people suggest about a time line to follow? Where would be the best towns to stay overnight? What do people consider to be the "must see" on the way down. We are in our mid 50s and don't really want to just take turnpikes or major highways all the way ...as what's the point of sitting on major freeways...I can do that here!
    Thanks in anticipation ern

Default A misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern View Post
    I am a member of our local AAA (called RACV) and that was supposed to allow me access to AAAs Trip Tik system, however alas the system must see that im in Australia and directs me to the international relations page..in an endless loop...Dam..W
    Hi Ern, when you are in the US, you can go to AAA anywhere, and get free maps and tourism information. It will not work on the site.

However, if you are needing help with the route, check out some of these threads.... did you by any chance purchase a road atlas on your last trip? It is invaluable while planning a trip, and essential when on the road. You can get one from the shop on the green bar above, and you will have it in a couple of weeks. Or if you would like it sooner, they are available at Mapworks in Keilor Rd Essendon. They are willing to post. Just drop them a line, as they do not have it listed on their website (despite my begging them to put it there). On good maps, such as those from AAA and the Rand McNally you will see marked most of the attractions along the way, and scenic routes are also highlighted. [I like to travel with both the atlas and the AAA maps.]

When renting a vehicle, look at using a consolidator such as Auto Europe. Other Aussies have had good deals via them. Note that renting in NJ can be aconsiderably cheaper than in NY. When I have rented, I have always had the best deals, even on one way trips, with Budget Car Rentals USA. Be sure to change the 'citizen of....' .

Happy planning.

Lifey

Default Thoughts and questions.

Hi Ern, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum. (omitted above)

Are you planning/wanting to go to DC on your way down to Florida? Will you be driving back to NY?

The drive can be done on the interstates in two hard driving days. So with four days you have time to spend on some of the more scenic routes, through small town America. As far as 'must sees' go, we really don't do must sees on this forum. One person's must sees are another's must pass by. We can recommend sites and places if you tell us what you are looking for, what your interests are.

There are some lovely scenic drives through Georgia. I was driving on US 319/441 from Triton to Dublin, last year, when at times I felt as if I were driving through a scene from 'Gone With the Wind'. It was not on my plan, I just wanted to go through McRae (to spend the night).

Was just looking at my atlas. Your friends live just south of Ft Pierce, so be sure to go see the murals on The Arcade building in downtown Ft Pierce. They are spectacular. The building is at 101 US-1, Ft Pierce.

A little way north of Ft Pierce you can cross over to A1A on the eastern side of the intercoastal, (along the Atlantic coast) all the way to Stuart, where you can cross back over the intercoastal. It is a really lovely drive. (I note that on google this route is designated as highway 2 - news to me.)

Lifey