Thread: gone away

gone_today Guest

Default gone away

First, I wasn't able to located a members introduction area or I would have posted my starter thread there..

April 18th at 7:34 am 2015

My wife and I were waiting for our bank to open and we were approx 60 mins early.. Therefore we walked over to the nearest car lot which happen to be our local Ford dealer. We entered the lot with one intention.. of searching for a car or truck that didn't have the altered Headrest.. This was important because back in 2008, The Fed Government implanted a new standard for seats requirements, mainly how the headrest was designed.

This may not sound very important to you.. but as a person with limited mobility issues as well as chronic pain in the lower back.. today's seats force my neck & spine forward more than I'm willing to allow and this was limiting what type of cars or trucks I can drive.

While we walked the lot, A salesman approached us and handed us his card and asked us to take our time and look around.. This impressed me because after years of searching at other car lots.. most salesmen hound you around the lot.. this one didn't and simply allowed us to explore. Searching, We discovered that many trucks and utility/panel vans have been exempt from this new government ruling. Which means that the headrest didn't just forward more than 4 inches.

We, mainly I attempted to sit in a dozen of cars and trucks.. some I could fit into, while others I constantly hit my head or knees upon entry. Time was drawing short and we were about to leave the lot, when I asked my wife for the umpteenth time to go look at the Ford Transit Vans. She reluctantly walked towards a whole line of these van. Some long, short, tall, and with a verity of window and door configurations.

She walked even closer to one mini-mini van.. which is Ford's basic transit van. no thrills or frills.. The only thing it did have was power doors and am/fm radio.. but the rest.. it was empty.. "That's Cute!" she said.. I couldn't believe it.. for more than 3 years I've asked her to just look at this van and tell me what she thought. This all hinged on IF I could enter the van and felt comfortable and that I could actually drive it..The salesmen returned as if he could read minds and had the keys waiting for me.. "Here" as he handed me the keys.. "Take it for a test drive"

I braced myself entering the van because I wasn't sure what to expect.. but once I was in the seat.. it was like a whole new world had just open up to us.. The endless possibilities this van would hold for us and how we travels. We could return to a hobby we nearly forgot because I could no longer set up our tent.

I drove the van down the block and out into the street.. It actually has allot of pep for a small panel van.. and it can turn on a dime. It even took our pothole filled streets very well. Returning, I notice my wife wasn't where I had left her.. she was already in the show room signing papers. The van was ours in less than 40 mins.. we paid cash on the spot.. Though we had to goto the bank first while the van was being cleaned.

Everyone congratulated us on our new purchase.. Not only did we get a great deal on this van.. and it has the 100K mile warranty.. the dealer threw in their own plan.. The "Life" plan.. everything is covered for life or for as long as we own the van.. Need new tires, Bam.. free, need a new wheels, Bam again.. Out in the middle of no where and need a rescue.. Bam Ford to the rescue. everything free for life.. I couldn't believe it.. not only did we buy a van, but we bought piece of mind and a company and a dealership that stands behind their products.

I stood there shocked and looks at the van.. My mind was racing.. what do I do with this ugly duckling.. So ugly it's beautiful, it saved my back and our travel dreams. we're starting out with a bare bones, no frills 2015 Transit.. The smallest they had on the lot, yet we both can craw in the back and have plenty of sleeping room for the both of us. I saw a blank canvas waiting for an artiest to create his masterpiece.

I look forward to sharing our build as well as our adventures.. I've decided to take a different view of how this van should look.. We're going to incorporate conventional RV products as well as a few odd ball one off items as subjected to us but the Rally inspired cars and races like Pairs to Dakar rally.. I know I prob watch too many rally races in my day. But this is an opening and great opportunity to create something different and actually use it in the end. I doubt we'll go off road with it.. But it might look as if it could.

Thanks for reading and We'll update this very soon.. Our first project.. to install rally style vents on the roof or on the rear side panels..

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Your post brings back memories of only a few years back, and the euphoria of finally finding just what I was looking for. Though I envy you, I had to do it from 12000 miles away. It has now seen three six month long trips, including one up to Prudhoe Bay.

I wish you many adventures in your new vehicle.

Lifey

gone_today Guest

Yes I've taken a moment to read your travels and thank you for the welcome. One thing anyone must realize about us, it wouldn't be hard to convince us to put the van on a ship and travel other parts of the world. But right now, we'll stay in the back yard for the time being.
    It is a project van I've been searching for allot of products that can or could be used with this mini van.. Starting from the ground up.. I'm having a hard time finding the right tire and wheel combination.. Once this has been successfully accomplished.. we'll move more upward and inward. One things is for sure, one needs to expect the unexpected from this project all in preparation for our cross country trip next year.

"Lost In Transit"
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-22-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: corrected small typo

Default Everyone is welcome -- So, never saw the need for a new member section

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post
    First, I wasn't able to located a members introduction area or I would have posted my starter thread there..
    Yep, there is no such section on this Forum. Everyone just jumps in and gets going.

Nice ride!

Mark

Is that the new 5 cylinder diesel engine in there?

EDIT: I guess not - that's a Transit Connect and I thought it was a Transit.
    Last edited by glc; 04-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.

gone_today Guest

Nope, though I wish that it was a diesel. Ford told me they aren't planing on installing any diesel engines in these small mini vans, But there already have the diesels in the larger passenger vans. But I'm not about to rule out a swap if given a chance.. these small vans are prime candidates for swaps, maybe a few years down the road.

Here are all the specs on the 2015 Ford Transit Connect XL SWB via Ford.com

Default Getting ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post
    [I]Our first project.. to install rally style vents on the roof or on the rear side panels..
    Have you seen any of the vandweller websites. Some really good ideas on them for modifying a vehicle... anything from a VWbug to a box delivery truck. I have picked up many ideas off those sites.

Lifey

gone_today Guest

Lifey, I took your advice and created an account over at Vandwellers.. But here are my findings for the day:

I've searched three days and wasn't pleased with the results.. But I did find this site that set me on the path to redemption and a restored faith in finding those wheels:

I'm not a very technical person, but this site made things easy so I could figure out the right combo for our Transit. My thought was that we wanted something rugged/off roady like the Rubicon, Subaru and even the new Fiat 500 wheels.. all have one thing in common.. their design.

What happen next.. We started searching systematically for those cars and trucks list on the above link.. allot of old cars and not all are Ford related.. but they all of these wheels had the same bolt pattern. 5-108 (5x4.25) and we nailed it.

They are actually 2012 -2013 Ford Focus wheels that will fit our Transit.

[Image: 3884CNCBWM__70294_std.jpg]

Although there is a slight glitch.. these are 17's and I was hoping for 16's but I can deal with this.. Now onward to those tires.. I've sent work to Firestone, Bridgestone and a couple of others who make winter tires.. I'm mainly interested in the rugged knobby look so I submitted a question as to how long these types of winter tires will last if driven on a daily bases. I'm under the assumption that 35K miles would/could be a far estimate.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-23-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: fixed the URL format -- can't solve the image --