Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trip San Francisco - LA - NP - Las Vegas - Yosemite

Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I'm going to America in 3 weeks now (may 4 - may 21). I've planned our trip but I'm not sure if it will work out. I hope you guys can help me out. And point me out on some huge mistakes that would ruin my once in a lifetime trip. :) We only have 16 days which is not much. We all have a good fitness to hike a little faster ;-). We are with 3 drivers, It's possible to let 2 sleep during a ride. We choose some cheaper places a bit farther from the national parks. We love the 50/50 cities and National parks.

This is the plan:

DAY 1: San fran (sleep in SF)
    Day 2: San Fran (SF)
    Day 3: Coast (random place)
    Day 4: Coast + LA (LA)
    Day 5: LA (LA)
    Day 6: Route 66 / Joshua / Lake Havasu (around route 66 or Flagstaff)
    Day 7: Grand Canyon (Big water)
    Day 8: Page + antelope canyon (Panguitch)
    Day 9: Bryce + Angels landing (St george)
    Day 10: Zion (LV)
    Day 11: Las Vegas (LV)
    Day 12: LAS Vegas (LV)
    Day 13: Death valley + Yosemite (Lee vining)
    Day 14: Yosemite (Sonora)
    Day 15: San Fran
    Day 16: To home

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Default Thoughts.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

You will have an amazing trip but it will be set at quite a fast pace.

A good place to break the journey along the coast would be Cambria.

Grand canyon [Big Water ?] I'm not sure where you are referring to here with Big Water. You should head to the National park which is the south rim. You could stay in the park if there are vacancies or as you exit the park to US89 there is the Cameron Trading post.

You do not want to go from Bryce to St George and back to Zion. Stay in the lovely little town of Springdale which is close to the entrance of Zion. You can get a free shuttle bus from town into the canyon.

Although there is a very good chance Tioga Pass [CA120] will be open to let you enter Yosemite from Lee Vining it is not a certainty. The pass typically opens sometime during May after the road is plowed, but you need to check on it's status before travelling to Lee Vining. If it is not open you will have to head south around the mountains via Bakersfield.

To get to Zion from Bryce, take US-89 south to UT-9 and enter Zion from the east through the tunnel. This is a lot more efficient than going all the way to St. George then in from the west.

Default Big Water? and more.

Big Water appears to be quite out of place. It is on 89, half way between Page and the turn off to the North Rim, right by the turn off onto Cottonwood Road to Cannonville, through Grand Staircase Escalante. By October you'll find the North Rim is likely to be closed.

We are with 3 drivers, It's possible to let 2 sleep during a ride.
    It may be possible, but it would be a very bad idea. Besides the fact that TWO should be awake at all times, the driver and one person to assist the driver. It is not possible to get a good rest or sleep in a moving vehicle. You will need a good night's sleep in a real bed to be alert and fit to drive a motor vehicle at highway speed in a safe manner.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Big Water appears to be quite out of place. It is on 89, half way between Page and the turn off to the North Rim, right by the turn off onto Cottonwood Road to Cannonville, through Grand Staircase Escalante. By October you'll find the North Rim is likely to be closed.

It may be possible, but it would be a very bad idea. Besides the fact that TWO should be awake at all times, the driver and one person to assist the driver. It is not possible to get a good rest or sleep in a moving vehicle. You will need a good night's sleep in a real bed to be alert and fit to drive a motor vehicle at highway speed in a safe manner.

Lifey
    No no we are with 4 people, but only 3 drivers. :) And that case would only be when we have a long ride ahead. e.g. drive a little farther to get to a better night stop.

Big water would be our place after Page. I've mistaken. Then I still need a place to sleep after Grand Canyon..

Springdale is indeed a better option if there is still place to sleep.

Thanks!

As Dave previously mentioned, it would probably be worth your while to actually spend the night at the Grand Canyon if possible. If that doesn't work, then the Cameron Trading Post would be your best bet.

Big Water has hardly any places to stay, and at that point, you might as well just stay in Page itself - they're only 15 miles apart - and you'd have far more lodging choices.

Better

DAY 1: San fran (sleep in SF)
    Day 2: San Fran (SF)
    Day 3: Coast (random place)
    Day 4: Coast + LA (LA)
    Day 5: LA (LA)
    Day 6: Route 66 / Joshua / Lake Havasu (around route 66 or Flagstaff)
    Day 7: Grand Canyon (Grand Canyon or Cameron trading post)
    Day 8: Page + antelope canyon (Page or Big water)
    Day 9: Bryce + Angels landing (Panguitch)
    Day 10: Zion (Springdale or St george)
    Day 11: Las Vegas (LV)
    Day 12: LAS Vegas (LV)
    Day 13: Death valley + Yosemite (Lee vining)
    Day 14: Yosemite (Sonora)
    Day 15: San Fran
    Day 16: To home

Do I have to book these close to national park upfront? Page, Panguitch, ...

If you are on the way to Bryce after Page, why go back there. There are lodgings in Kanab, which would not need backtracking to Page. Or for lodgings in a more natural surrounding, try Jacob's Creek. Though that would mean backtracking a short way to 89. There's not much in Big Water.

Lifey.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Ive stayed at both Kanab and Panguitch and wasnt a problem finding a place to stay. Both friendly places where you would like to stay longer. Stayed at Panguitch again on another visit. Kanab had nice apple pie and ice cream. Also where the Lone Ranger movies were made.

Keith

Default Jacob lake ?

Or for lodgings in a more natural surrounding, try Jacob's Creek.
    Are you referring to Jacob Lake Lifey ? If so, I would second that. A lovely place with hotel rooms or a cabin in the woods which we really enjoyed.