1. Default drive from Edmonton Alberta to Anaheim California.

Wondering how long it would take to get to Anaheim and how much for gas, family of 7. Our Van get 14L per 100km
    Last edited by Carmen Musiowsky; 04-11-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Welcome to RTA!

Nowhere near enough information provided to give you an answer. California is a HUGE state, we need to know exactly WHERE in California you are going. We also have no idea what kind of gas mileage your vehicle gets, so we can't estimate fuel costs.

3. Default

Sorry I'm new .. I edited by post.

I saw that, but GLC wouldn't have seen that, which is why we don't recommend changing your original post once someone has answered. :-)

Welcome to RTA!

It's about 1800 miles from Edmonton to Anaheim. The last 150 miles is going to have some traffic, particularly if you come in on a Friday or Sunday evening. Plan on 3-1/2 days to travel, especially with a group of 7 people. BTW, this is with optimum road conditions. You posted this in the Fall & Winter section, so if you are coming in the dead of winter, that could make for a longer trip.

As far as your fuel costs are concerned -- look to the right of this post. There's a "fuel cost calculator". Figure out first how many miles you're going to drive -- round trip it would be 3600, then add about 20-25% for tourist extra miles. Figure on about $3.50/gallon average for fuel (it may be slightly higher in CA, depending on when your trip is -- our tax on fuel is obnoxiously high here). You should know how many km per gallon your vehicle gets, or at least a good guess-timate.

Donna

5. Default

Thank you I'm looking at October, just starting to look at our options, flying with a family our size is so much money.

Default Larger parties equal more time.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    You should know how many km per gallon your vehicle gets, or at least a good guess-timate.
    At 3.75 litres to the US gallon, there no need to guess-timate. Anyone competent with a little bit of arithmetic can tell you exactly.

Although this route can be driven in 3.5 days, as stated above, it is necessary to take into account that with a party of seven every stop will take considerably longer than with two travellers. On top of that in Canada you folk do not travel at the neck-break speeds common in the lower 48. It might be a good idea to allow at least 4 (or more) days, so that you can at least enjoy the trip..

Lifey

14L/100km converts to 17 miles/US gallon. I think the average price per gallon will be less than $3.50 this October - even considering the higher cost in Canada and California I think $3.00 USD per US gallon would be safe. This would give about $650 USD for fuel for the round trip, add $50 for driving around at your destination. So - total of about $700 USD for fuel - at today's exchange rate that's about $900 CAD. To be safe, budget $1000 CAD.

I agree - allow 4 days each way.

You also will have the costs of 2 hotel rooms each night on the road and meals on the road. Hotel rooms will average about $75 USD each and food in restaurants and grocery stores down here is about the same as up there.

Default More than four hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You also will have the costs of 2 hotel rooms each night on the road and meals on the road. Hotel rooms will average about $75 USD each and food in restaurants and grocery stores down here is about the same as up there.
    This link may help you.

Lifey

That link is good, but finding suites that will take a family of 7 are going to be few and far between and the ones you do find will be quite expensive.