Default Avoiding the long uphill climbs from TX to CA

Hello Everyone! I am planning my summer vacation from Dallas to California for the 3rd year now. Each year I hate the struggle with the uphill climbs through Arizona and California. I am thinking of a different route but am not sure if its going to make a difference or not? I normally take I-20 to I-10 all the way. I see another route on I-40. I used to go back and forth from Dallas to California a lot when I lived there 20 yrs ago, but I don't remember all these up hill battles!! Maybe it was because I had less people in the car (2 then as opposed to 6 now!) I would just like to have less wear and tear on the car if possible. Any suggestions or comments appreciated!! TIA!!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I-20 to I-10 is the lowest possible elevation route you can take in the US to get across the continental divide. I'm honestly not even sure which uphill climbs you'd be struggling with on that route, and if your vehicle is struggling with them, perhaps you've got something significantly wrong with your car?

I-40 goes over much higher elevation (4,000 ft on I-10 vs. 8,000 feet on I-40) with several noteworthy passes. If you have an issue with I-10, then you certainly don't want to go that route. When it comes to low elevation routes, I-10 is hands down the best option in the country.

Even long uphill highway climbs are easier on a car than the usual urban/suburban stop/start driving. You shouldn't worry no matter which way you go! Use the cruise control and let the car's electronics take care of things.

I've been on I-40, I-10, and I-8. Believe me, I'd much rather have the little climbs on any of those three, than the urban mess of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, if I could help it. The prettiest route of the three is probably I-40, but that requires going over the Cajon Pass on I-15 into miles of urban traffic. I-10 also requires a lot of urban traffic. I-8 may go too far south for the OP, depending on where in CA she wants to end up. It also has a major uphill, just west of El Centro, and will end up in the San Diego urban area. (However, if I knew where in CA that the OP is going, I could advise a "way around" most of the San Diego messy traffic!)

Donna

LOL...I think the car is just loaded down with 6 people and luggage galore as well as being a 4-cylinder. I considered that to be the problem. I appreciate your advise. I think I will stick with the I-10 route!!

Thanks DonnaR527, we are visiting Anaheim. I would love the scenic route but it appears that is the more "hilly" route to take so I think that sticking with the tried and true I-10 will be my best bet. Its not extremely bad, I mean we don't struggle as bad as loosing extreme speed but I know that if I had a V-6 or more it would be a lot easier than it is. Cruise control is my best friend during this long venture so we will give it another whirl and maybe by the next trip I will have that V-6 new car I want!! Thanks for everyone's advise.

4 cylinders is not an issue - the only thing really noticeable with a V-6 is it's quieter and smoother. Today's cars with 4's have almost as much power as cars with V-8's did not that many years ago.