Thread: West Coast 2015

1. Default West Coast 2015

Hi!

I'm going to be travelling over from the UK with my mum this July and we're having a bit of trouble with decisions! I've made two routes and I just wondered which route people would choose if they were to do one, and any advice! We don't want to be driving for too long each day, which is why I've chosen some of the places. We'd love to do Seattle to San Diego, via Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam but doubt we could manage that much driving so the two routes are as follows:

Route 1:
    Seattle (2nights) -> Portland (2 nights with a day to Columbia River Gorge) -> Depoe Bay (1 night) -> Bandon (1 night) -> Crescent City (2 nights with a day to the Redwoods) -> Eureka (1 night) -> Mendocino (1 night) -> San Francisco (2 nights) ->Yosemite (2 nights) -> Monterey (1 night) -> Cambria (1 night) -> Santa Barbara (1 night) -> Red Rock Canyon SP (1 night) -> Lake Arrowhead (1 night) -> San Diego (2 nights)

Route 2:
    Seattle (2nights) -> Portland (2 nights with a day to Columbia River Gorge) -> Depoe Bay (1 night) -> Bandon (1 night) -> Crescent City (2 nights with a day to the Redwoods) -> Eureka (1 night) -> Mendocino (1 night) -> San Francisco (2 nights) ->Yosemite (2 nights) -> Monterey (1 night) -> San Luis Obispo (1 night) -> Barstow (1 night) -> Hoover Dam (1 night) -> Kingman (1 night) -> Grand Canyon (1 night) -> Phoenix (1 night)

Thanks in advance for any replies!! :)

Default It's all good.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's always tough to make final decisions, in a good way that is, as there are no right or wrong answers, just choices. It would hard for me not to include Yosemite and the Grand canyon so I would probably opt for route 2, but thats me. I don't think you would need to stop at Barstow, Hoover dam and Kingman, two out of three would do leaving you another night at [or near to] the Grand canyon, perhaps even explore a bit of Red rock country around Sedona.

An option 3 I would also consider is from SF do the following. SF to Cambria via Monterey/ Big Sur > to Yosemite > over Tioga Pass [spectacular] to Bishop/Lone Pine > Through Death valley to Vegas/Kingman > to Grand canyon> to Phoenix.