Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default North Dakota,South Dakota-Nevada-California( gold rush route 49) oregon

    Hi,
    Changing trip plans again!! Should I repost as new post? Or add to my last post? Wasn't sure so I did this. Hope that is okay?
    2-3 weeks- flexible on time
    like tent camping but will stay in budget motels/camping cabins/yurts
    historic/native american sights... scenery

    Going with original BC Canada- North Dakota- South Dakota- Have this part planned pretty good I think.
    Only change would be going south 83 to I-90? Looking for old west/fort/native sites? Any suggestions along here?

    From Hot Springs SD-Wendover NV-along I-80- just get on freeway & drive -day & 1/2??? Any sights along I-80?
    Salt Flats but not much else that I see.

    Wendover-Reno-again on I-80- Drive day!! Any sights?

    Reno-Truckee-Auburn-south on route 49 to Mariposa??

    Or would be better to go Reno- Carson City-Tahoe-Placerville-south on route 49 to Mariposa?

    Can we go into Yosemite NP at all?? or is all road closed?

    Mariposa-Lakeport??? Or right to Humbolt Redwood SP??

    Humbolt Redwood SP- Florence-2-3 days along here??? Have researched this area quite a lot- but if you have any out of ordinary sites?

    Florence-Portland-Columbia River Gorge- Spokane WA-BC Canada- ? days?

    Help appreciated!
    Last edited by bctraveler; 04-01-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention Yosemite NP

  2. #2

    Default Hot Springs, SD to Wendover, NV

    Unless I'm missing something important, the drive from Hot Springs, SD to Wendover, NV is not all I-80. Depending on the route chosen, perhaps half or 2/3 would be. Very long day in the saddle, either way, and not recommended for a 1-day segment. Not the least of which is due to having to penetrate the Salt Lake City metro area at the end of a very long day (at rush hour?), followed by 100 miles across the salt flats to Wendover. Perhaps better to pull up short at Park City/Kimball Junction, even if it means taking the Banzai downhill into SLC the next morning on a workday with the other commuters. You'd be through the worst of it within 30-35 miles of PC/KJ, and you'd have the sun at your back crossing the salt flats. There are some budget chain motels right at KJ, and some surprisingly good places to eat close by, without having to run the 5 miles south from KJ into PC proper.

    Foy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Yosemite is open year-round, the only things that are closed for the winter are Tioga Pass and Glacier Point. Highways 120, 140, and 41 from the west and south are maintained year-round but 120 and 41 occasionally have chain controls. 140 goes in via a valley and seldom ever has issues.

    In fact, Glacier Point is already open and it shouldn't be too long before Tioga is open. This was a very dry winter.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Yosemite is open year-round, the only things that are closed for the winter are Tioga Pass and Glacier Point. Highways 120, 140, and 41 from the west and south are maintained year-round but 120 and 41 occasionally have chain controls. 140 goes in via a valley and seldom ever has issues.

    In fact, Glacier Point is already open and it shouldn't be too long before Tioga is open. This was a very dry winter.
    Thanks for road info!

  5. #5

    Default

    No am not doing in 1 day -day 1/2, will spend night someplace along the way....I know that does not go entire way on I-80, just thought I would give general idea of route I was planning. Thanks for traffic advice! Will go up towards Casper & then onto Hot Springs SD.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bctraveler View Post
    Hi,
    Changing trip plans again!! Should I repost as new post? Or add to my last post? Wasn't sure so I did this. Hope that is okay?
    2-3 weeks- flexible on time
    like tent camping but will stay in budget motels/camping cabins/yurts
    historic/native american sights... scenery

    Going with original BC Canada- North Dakota- South Dakota- Have this part planned pretty good I think.
    Only change would be going south 83 to I-90? Looking for old west/fort/native sites? Any suggestions along here?

    From Hot Springs SD-Wendover NV-along I-80- just get on freeway & drive -day & 1/2??? Any sights along I-80?
    Salt Flats but not much else that I see.

    Wendover-Reno-again on I-80- Drive day!! Any sights?

    Reno-Truckee-Auburn-south on route 49 to Mariposa??

    Or would be better to go Reno- Carson City-Tahoe-Placerville-south on route 49 to Mariposa?

    Can we go into Yosemite NP at all?? or is all road closed?

    Mariposa-Lakeport??? Or right to Humbolt Redwood SP??

    Humbolt Redwood SP- Florence-2-3 days along here??? Have researched this area quite a lot- but if you have any out of ordinary sites?

    Florence-Portland-Columbia River Gorge- Spokane WA-BC Canada- ? days?

    Help appreciated!
    We are leaving this Sunday!

    We have decided to reverse the route... starting on Oregon Coast. Stay in Florence, Coos Bay or Bandon,Brookings,Eureka.. so 4 days along here, longer if needed.

    Eureka to Nevada City- James Town traveling on Highway 49... may go into Yosemite if time.

    Cross Sierras whatever road is open.. May drive back to Highway 88, if Tioga Pass is still closed, which I assume it will be.. but will keep checking. Travel up to South Lake Tahoe, Carson City,Reno

    Reno to Wendover

    Wendover- Hot Springs SD- 1-2 days

    Onward to North Dakota.

    Back to Canada.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    CA-88 (Carson Pass) is a very pretty drive, it seldom closes, and traffic is generally light, unlike US-50 (Echo Summit). That would be my choice to get to Tahoe from Yosemite if you can't take Tioga Pass. After you get over the top and 88 meets 89, take 89 over Luther Pass to US-50 at South Lake Tahoe.

    If Tioga just happens to be open, there are 3 ways to get to South Lake Tahoe from 395:

    1. CA-89 over Monitor and Luther Passes
    2. US-50 (this is the long way around unless you plan on driving around the lake anyway)
    3. NV-207 over the Kingsbury Grade

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    CA-88 (Carson Pass) is a very pretty drive, it seldom closes, and traffic is generally light, unlike US-50 (Echo Summit). That would be my choice to get to Tahoe from Yosemite if you can't take Tioga Pass. After you get over the top and 88 meets 89, take 89 over Luther Pass to US-50 at South Lake Tahoe.

    If Tioga just happens to be open, there are 3 ways to get to South Lake Tahoe from 395:

    1. CA-89 over Monitor and Luther Passes
    2. US-50 (this is the long way around unless you plan on driving around the lake anyway)
    3. NV-207 over the Kingsbury Grade
    Thanks so much! I was hoping 88 was open as that was my first choice!
    Thanks for all other suggestions!

  9. #9

    Default

    Well this road trip is complete! I will post a detailed account of our trip with photos, if I can figure that out again.

    On previous trips that we have done on here.. there have been many comments posted that we are rushing too much or that we won't see anything at the pace we were going. We have always saw the sights that we wanted to... enjoyed the trip... & never really felt rushed. Could we have saw more... of course there is always more. I have LOVED the road trips we have done.

    This trip was my least favorite ever. I even commented that if this was my first major road trip that I probably would never do another. We traveled 7500 kms ( we are from Canada, so that is our mileage measurement) in 12 days... totally insane! That was our first downfall.. & a MAJOR one! Second, the areas that we went to on our very long travel days, did not have a lot of sites to see along the way, we did do mainly freeways which gets you there faster, but you miss the real point of a road trip, when you do too many freeway days.It is always nice to stop every 1-2 hrs, get out and see some sites, ones that you actually walk to. We didn't do this. Which resulted in a not so great experience. I don't want to just say... "Oh we went here... or there" I want to "experience" the places. Also, though we missed crowds ... alot of attractions, things to do were closed as it was not "the season" yet. I prefer the end of August/Early September time of year for trips.. as weather is warm & crowds aren't that bad.

    Will post this road trip as soon as I have time! Again, thanks for advice & help!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bctraveler View Post
    This trip was my least favorite ever. I even commented that if this was my first major road trip that I probably would never do another. We traveled 7500 kms ( we are from Canada, so that is our mileage measurement) in 12 days... totally insane!
    The funny thing is that works out to about 380 miles a day, and while that's a lot, that's hardly a huge number compared to a lot of plans some people propose on this forum.

    But as you saw, trying to do too much in too little time really takes away from the ability to enjoy a roadtrip - and as people who love roadtrips and want others to enjoy them as well - it's a huge reason why we so frequently warn people of the dangers of an overstuffed trip. We're just happy that you have prior experience, and this trip didn't sour you on roadtrips in the future!

Similar Threads

  1. North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Arizona
    By bctraveler in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 05:36 PM
  2. California to south dakota
    By charlene93 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
  3. Southern California to North Dakota and back
    By Rook in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
  4. North & South Dakota
    By jerseyprincess in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM
  5. South Dakota/North Dakota/Montana/Wyoming in an RV?
    By stumbalina23 in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 02:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES