1. Default Iowa to Yosemite

I am planning a trip from Iowa to Yosemite in July. My sister and her husband, who are from Germany, would like to go on a road trip while they are in the U.S. The love the outdoors and would prefer to see the countryside rather than big cities. We have 8 days of travel time for this trip. I would love some suggestions and advice on what route to take and what parks or attractions we could take in along the way.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

While this sounds like a wonderful trip for you and your family, there is one problem: it will be 3 very long days on the highway to get TO Yosemite, since it is roughly 1800 miles (using Des Moines as a starting point) and then it will be the same mileage on the way back. That only gives you two days to see Yosemite and anything else you want to see.

Have you thought about flying to San Francisco and renting a car?

Joplin MO

With 8 days, you could do a "loop" trip if you fly into SF, seeing a lot more of what the West has to offer. You could drive down the Pacific Coast Highway toward LA, then cut inland and see the Grand Canyon, a couple of the southern Utah parks, Death Valley, and Yosemite.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Depends on where you'll fly into.

You could do the same loop suggested above, if they and you are flying into LA. It would end with the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway.