1. Default May Itinerary: Phoenix - Sedona - Mt. Zion - Grand Canyon

Hey Folks!

I LOVE this website! What an awesome resource. Here's my plan and here's what I'm looking for:

Plan first:
    5/2 - Fly into Phoenix (from Nashville)
    5/2 - 5/4 Sedona
    5/4 - 5/6 Mt. Zion
    5/6 - 5/8 Grand Canyon
    5/8 - back to Phoenix
    5/9 - fly home

How does this look? The goal for my solo vacation AND MY FIRST TIME IN THE SOUTHWEST DURING SPRING TIME is beautiful solitude. I want to be in nature and be alone. Prayer, meditation, etc.

What I'm looking for: answers to a couple of questions.

1. Best places to stay, bang for the buck, views, accessibility to parks, safety, etc.
    2. The itinerary itself: is it efficient?
    3. Are there MUST SEE places I should hit along the way that are convenient to my proposed path?
    4. The best ways to see these enormous and beautiful parks.

And any other thoughts you might have! Thanks, fellow wanderers...

South of England.

Default A great time to visit.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If you don't wish to pay the NP lodging prices then you can look at towns outside. For Grand canyon Flagstaff and Williams offer the best value lodgings but are further away, nearer to the park you have the Cameron Trading post by the east entrance and Tusayan near the south entrance. For Zion NP you can't beat the lovely little town of Springdale, it is close to the entrance with shuttle bus services running into the park.

Your itinerary is fine and set at a relaxed pace. Visiting the GC on the way back means that you enter from the east entry kiosk which is the best option in my opinion as you follow the direction of the Colorado river as it carves it's way through. The North rim access road is usually closed until mid May so presume you going to south rim]

You have many options but of course that would eat into you time to relax. Monument valley, Lake Powell, Horseshoe bend and Antelope canyon are just a few of those options. Bryce canyon NP is spectacular but you would have to lose a day elsewhere. I think for the solitude you are looking for, visiting other places and adding miles may detract from it.

When you arrive at the parks you will be given leaflets and maps with info and the Rangers are always there to tell you about their favourite spots and walks. In Zion you use the shuttle buses to go into the main canyon area and you can hop on and off as you please. The stroll along the Virgin river is wonderful and although popular, you can find a quiet spot to yourself. Emerald pools and Weeping rock are both nice walks and then you have a number of hiking trails for all levels. As you enter the GC via the east entrance your first stop will be the Old Watchtower and then others as you make your way to the village area and the rim walk. From the village you use the shuttle bus to Hermits rest, again hopping on and off at the various viewpoints.