Thread: Bay Area to TX

1. Default Bay Area to TX

This will be a solo trip done at the end of April. The most time I can spend is 2 weeks, but I'd rather take less time, so aiming for 5 days right now. I'm totally willing to extend past 5 days but I just don't know what detours or what stops would be worth taking the extra time (and vacation days from work) to see. The only one I have planned now is the Grand Canyon. I do like outdoorsy/nice scenery stuff, but since I'm by myself, I'm not as comfortable doing any hiking unless it's a really short one with very clearly marked trails.

The longest stretch I've driven in a day is 6 hours by myself. I've also driven 8 hours, but I had others in the car with me. I felt fine at the end of 8hrs and felt like I could easier fit in more, but then again, I'm sure having company helped.

Here is my (very) tentative plan with comments. I know Google time estimates aren't always accurate, so I included my own estimates to account for breaks, traffic, etc., but I feel like even my own estimates maybe too optimistic.

Day 1: San Jose, CA -> Flagstaff, AZ 722 miles, Google time: 10hrs 43min, my estimate: 12-13 hours
    This is the one I'm most concerned about. I'm thinking it maybe best idea to split this into 2 days. One option is to stop in Barstow, CA overnight (cuts down the miles to 372). But I also feel like I can cover more than that in one day. Another option I was thinking about is to stop in Kingman, AZ (576 miles). I can't help but think that Kingman is only like 3 hours away from Flagstaff, so might as well just go straight through but I think I'm probably being overly optimistic here.

There doesn't seem to be as many good stopping options on this stretch, so any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Day 2: Spend the day here sightseeing the Grand Canyon. I'm planning on just hitting the touristy sites and I heard there were shuttle buses I could take that takes me from point to point. Let me know if it would be better to spend 2 days here instead of 1.

Day 3: Flagstaff, AZ -> Lubbock, TX 642 miles, Google: 9hr 18min, my estimate: 11 hours

Day 4: Lubbock, TX -> Austin, TX 373 miles, Google: 5hr 44min, my estimate 7hrs

(No returning to bay area, will be staying in TX.)

The last 2 days of driving, I may stretch to 3. It just all depends on how I'm feeling. I would like to think I can easily do 8-10 hours of driving, but if I can't, I would like to have backup plans/cities just in case.

Also, is it cheaper to book places in advance or just find a place along the way or does it really not make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Default Your first day - and your third - are KILLER

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You really need to rethink that first day. More than 700 miles is just not a good idea for one day - even if you had multiple drivers. As a solo driver, you really are asking for a disaster. 13 Hours would be about right, but the human body simply can't safely operate a 2 ton machine at 75 mph safely for that length of time. Professional drivers are forbidden by law from attempting such a drive.

Keep in mind a couple things. By the time you "feel" tired, you've already been on the road far too long. There is also a big difference between pushing yourself a bit on one day vs. doing long drives day after day after day. Think of the difference between a marathon and a sprint.

You need a minimum of 3 full days on the road to do this safely, and that's not including any other detours. Kingman is the farthest you should attempt to go on the first day. If you're going to spend a day at the Grand Canyon, you could spend the next night in Flagstaff, but the following day, Lubbock is again too far to go in one day (more like 12 than 11 hours). Clovis, NM is about as far as you should try to get, which sets you up for one more long day onto Austin.

Default Set your stops before you leave.

Although winging it would probably work, and cost about the same, you would be best booking all your accommodation beforehand. If for no other reason than that you will not be tempted to push further because you think you can. Fatigue is cumulative, and insidious. You don't know it is creeping up until it well and truly has you in its grasp.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

4. Default

Yeah, I knew my first day was bad... which is why I came up with 2 other options, Barstow and Kingman. I'm now leaning towards stopping in Barstow to be on the safe side. Are there any other good cities to stop in between Barstow and Kingman?

Thanks for your advice! I'm definitely going to shorten both 1st and 3rd day. You gave me a good wake up call though. I'm thinking about trying to stay around 8 hrs max a day to be on the safe side. Not sure about how many miles that will cover. Here's my revised plan after taking in your suggestions:

Day 1: San Jose, CA -> Barstow, CA (372 miles) (might consider pushing a bit longer if there's another good midway stop between Barstow and Kingman)
    Day 2: Barstow, CA -> Flagstaff, AZ (352 miles)
    Day 3: Stay in Flagstaff and explore Grand Canyon

Option 1:
    Day 4: Flagstaff, AZ -> Clovis, NM (542 miles)
    Day 5: Clovis, NM -> Austin, TX (476 miles)

Option 2 (Add extra day and be safer/more comfortable... do you think this is better than option 1 or is it being too conservative?) :
    Day 4: Flagstaff, AZ -> Albuquerque, NM (325 miles)
    Day 5: Albuquerque, NM -> Lubbock, TX (319 miles)
    Day 6: Lubbock, TX -> Austin, TX (373 miles)

Does that look more doable/better?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Although winging it would probably work, and cost about the same, you would be best booking all your accommodation beforehand. If for no other reason than that you will not be tempted to push further because you think you can. Fatigue is cumulative, and insidious. You don't know it is creeping up until it well and truly has you in its grasp.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey
    Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly about wanting to book in advance. I was worried that I might over-do it if I don't. (Which may have been obvious with my initial plan of wanting to do a 13 hr drive on the first day, hah.) But then again, I wasn't sure if I could get better deals if I wing it. (Was thinking that maybe the hotels will be more likely to give a bigger discount if they're trying to fill rooms last minute...)

Thanks!

There is only ONE option between Barstow and Kingman - that's Needles - and it ain't cheap, even the Motel 6 is $74 a night weekdays and $84 weekends.

The only way you can get a better deal than prebooking with a walkin is if you have a coupon. No guarantee there will be any coupon rooms left.