1. Default San diego to san francisco

We're going on a road trip to san francisco next week. Is there a scenic route?
    We went there 10 years ago,it was sooo boring because we took the bakersfield route.
    All we saw were trucks,trucks,delivery trucks and factories.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

If you went through Bakersfield, did you take CA-99? If so, I-5 is a bit more scenic as it doesn't go through the middle of the Central Valley and doesn't go through any cities. The only other route that's possible in one day is US-101 out of LA, that's what I'd take for scenery and it's near-freeway quality all the way. If you have more than one day that opens up more possibilities, including CA-1 up the coast. Another multi-day possibility is I-15 to US-395 to Lake Tahoe, then US-50 and I-80 back to SF. This route will avoid most of the LA traffic mess.

Southern California

SoCal resident chiming in here: We've been headed north on many trips over the years. Here's my take on all of them:

I-5: By far the fastest way if you are in a hurry. However, to get through the LA mess, either watch what time you leave home, or "go around". By "go around", I'd say take I-15 to CA-60, to CA-57 to I-10, to I-210, and that will take you back to I-5 north.

CA-99: It's pretty fast, but yes, there are a lot of trucks. I'd stick to I-5.

US-101: Beautiful route, many places just as fast. The yuckiest part of the 101 is the intersection of 405 and 101 north of LA. To avoid that, take the above route (I-15/CA-60/CA-57/I-210) and then watch for CA-118. Sail out 118 to Oxnard and Ventura, where you'd pick up 101.

PCH/CA-1: I have yet to drive this, but I've heard it's gorgeous. It's also been something to do going southbound, because the coastal pullouts are all on the correct side of the road. (Every time we've planned a trip up the PCH, something happened that washed out the highway and we had to change our plans.)

4. Default

Thank you for replying.I really appreciate your suggestions. We have dedicated the first day on the road to Frisco.
    BTW,we had a great time at the Grand Canyon. The trip was perfect! Thanks to all of you guys who replied. Thanks RTA!!!!