Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Default Family road trip from Kansas City to Destin Fl.

My family and I are looking to road trip to Destin, Florida, possibly in September. We have 3 girls, 11, 8, 4. Just looking for some suggestions for to things to see and do on the way. We will be starting in Kansas City. I'll likely split the drive up into 2 or 3 days. Also, what route do you all suggest? Thanks guys!!

Tucson, AZ

Default An Oddity

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In looking at your proposed trip, I noticed something odd. This is one of the few well-separated city pairs that is not connected by any Interstate highways or segments. This will be a drive on the 'old' US highway system for the most part with only occasional connections on major freeways. So let's get the most direct route laid out for you first, because these things tend to get a little complicated. All routes will be taken south or east as the occasion requires; any exceptions will be noted. Start out from Kansas City on US-71 to Harrisonville MO, MO-7 to Clinton, MO-13 to Springfield. At Springfield, use I-44 and US-65 to bypass the city, then take US-60 to Willow Springs and US-63 to Memphis. In Memphis you can again use an Interstate, I-55, to get through the city and then it's on to TN-175 to connect with US-78 to Tupelo MS, US-45 to Mobile AL and, finally, I-10/US-98 to Destin.

These are not back roads for the most part. Many of them will be four-lane divided highways with decent speed limits. You could drive this route in a minimum of two full days with an overnight somewhere roughly between Memphis and Tupelo. But if you really want the girls to see some of the places you'll be driving past and to make great memories of what a RoadTrip can be, you should give serious consideration to adding a third day. Some possible stops would include Fantastic Caverns, Bull Shoals-White River State Park, Mud Island, Elvis' Birthplace, and Gulf Islands National Seashore.