1. Default Trip to Maryland from Galveston Texas

Hi folks!
    My mom and I are driving my car home from college this May, we are starting in Galveston and will end in Maryland. When we drove my car down to school 2 years ago we stopped in New Orleans for a couple days but besides that we did not really stop anywhere. I was hoping to find some good things to do on the trip since last time we were on a deadline this time we have time to make a real vacation out of the trip. The states that we may pass through are Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and then Virginia which is the route we took last time but we may choose to go through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and then Virginia. Please let me know if you know of any fun things to do!

Tucson, AZ

Default Anther Option

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your previous route is just what software mapping will suggest as the 'best' route from Galveston to the Baltimore/Washington area. (I'm assuming College Park as your destination.) But you've already been that way, so what else is available that won't take a whole lot longer to drive, leaving you with time to see things along the way as well as having things worth seeing. The basic route that immediately comes to mind is the Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez past Tupelo and Shiloh and on into Nashville. Then connecting on I-40/US-441 through Great Smoky Mountain National Park to Asheville and up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park and finally I-66 into the DC area.