1. Default Honey Moon Road Trip Advice Please!!!

Hello! This is my first post here and I am so happy to see a web site like this!

I am having a wedding in April 3rd in Ohio. After the wedding, my wife and I will be driving from New Springfield, Ohio back to our home in Carlsbad, California. We are both in the military and don't get much time away, so we are wanting to make several stops along the way to visit a few states where we may want to live after the Marine Corps.

We are looking at going from New Springfield, Ohio to Missoula, Montana, from there to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and then to Denver, Colorado and on home to Carlsbad, California. I understand it's a shorter trip if we went if we went to Denver, Wyoming, Montana, and home, but we like the idea of going through South Dakota instead of Kansas (sorry everyone from Kansas ;). We will be driving a small U-Haul truck, so anything off the main roads might be tricky, but we would love to stop and do some sight seeing. Yellowstone is definitely in the plans, but we don't know too many other attractions along the way. Thanks in advance!

Default I Hope You've Got Some Extra Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I see a some conflicts in your plan, and we probably need to understand those before we get down to the nitty gritty of making specific suggestions for you. The first, and main one, is your route and the fact that you're using a rental truck. U-Haul rentals usually come with a time constraint based on the distance you need to cover. If you plan to pick up your truck in Ohio and drop it off in California, my guess is that they'll allow you something like seven days, a day at each end for loading/unloading and five days to make the drive. But the route you've laid out will take at least seven days and probably more just to drive. Add in time to pack and unpack the truck and actually spend some time on the ground at all the places you want to visit, and you're looking at needing closer to two weeks to do this trip in any sort of fashion that befits a honeymoon, even for Marines!

So the first thing we'll need to know is how much time do you have to make this reposition. It would also help us if you could give us an idea of what you and your fiancée are interested in.

AZBuck

Also, Yellowstone is pretty much a no-go in April. Almost all of the roads will still be closed for the winter.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I see a some conflicts in your plan, and we probably need to understand those before we get down to the nitty gritty of making specific suggestions for you. The first, and main one, is your route and the fact that you're using a rental truck. U-Haul rentals usually come with a time constraint based on the distance you need to cover. If you plan to pick up your truck in Ohio and drop it off in California, my guess is that they'll allow you something like seven days, a day at each end for loading/unloading and five days to make the drive. But the route you've laid out will take at least seven days and probably more just to drive. Add in time to pack and unpack the truck and actually spend some time on the ground at all the places you want to visit, and you're looking at needing closer to two weeks to do this trip in any sort of fashion that befits a honeymoon, even for Marines!

So the first thing we'll need to know is how much time do you have to make this reposition. It would also help us if you could give us an idea of what you and your fiancée are interested in.

AZBuck
    We will be leaving Ohio on the morning of April 4th and we would like to arrive in California no later than April 13th. It's definitely going to be mostly driving, but the goal is to spend the first half of about three days in different locations to visit. Other than that, we are satisfied just stopping for pictures:) Do you think this is possible? Should we cut out one of the states we would like to visit? Thanks!

5. Default

Here is a link of my rough draft. I took out Yellowstone. Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-19-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Link format.

Default Honeymoon ? [Wheres the romance?]

I understand you want to 'see' a few States but you are only mainly going to see them through the car window from Interstate. In all honesty it's not going to give you a true picture of what living and working there might be like, but more importantly its not going to be much of a Honeymoon either, you will be exhausted. Driving 750 miles on day 1 is a bit of 'no no' at the best of times, but to follow it up with a 650 mile day is gonna be no fun and in fact would be dangerous as you would be driving while fatigued. Any romance is gonna be out the window ! ;-) [In fact I just noticed you will be in a U haul, forget it. Sorry but your first 2 days are gonna take the best part of 3 days.]

I would reconsider and make this Honeymoon about the 'here and now' and take it at a relaxed and enjoyable pace where you can stop and smell the roses and make happy memories of your honeymoon trip. It's for you to decide where you go, but you are going to have to cut back and I would look at going a more direct route to Denver and then enjoying some the Rockies and amazing National parks and scenic drives of Southern Utah and cutting down to the Grand canyon.

I wish you all the best and a safe trip !

Default financial pain

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSperry View Post
    We will be leaving Ohio on the morning of April 4th and we would like to arrive in California no later than April 13th.
    It seems you missed one of Buck's biggest concerns with your plan: If you are taking a UHaul, you have a limited amount of time and a limited number of miles, to complete this trip.

A one way Uhaul rental from New Springfield to Carlsbad includes only 8 days and 2900 miles. It's $40 per day and 40 cents per mile if you go over that, so if you did the 10 day, 4200 mile trip you're proposing, you'll be looking at a minimum of $600 in extra fees, and that doesn't include any time to load/unload your truck and any extra miles you'll have driving around towns, to/from the pickup/drop off point, etc. It also doesn't include the costs of all the fuel you'll be sucking down along the way.

8. Default

Thank you for this advice :) The more we talk it over, the more it looks like we want to do something more like Ohio to Denver, to Vegas, and home to So Cal. We are promising our next trip to be Montana and Wyoming :) Thanks again!

Get on I-70 and take it all the way to the end, at I-15. Then head south. :-) There are lots of things to see and do in that short time frame. Be sure to stop at the many rest areas in the Glenwood Springs and Vail areas, west of Denver. They are beautiful places to take a break, and not your typical interstate rest areas. That's because the interstate 70 between Denver and Salina, UT, is about the most beautiful interstate in the US!

Donna

Just make sure you top off the fuel tank in Green River, and take care of any other necessities. There are absolutely no services or rest stops for the next 108 miles.