Default RV 6 weeks in CO, UT, WY & SD

We collect an RV in Denver on March 31st and return to same location on May 12th. At this stage we plan on heading through the Rocky Mountains to visit most of the National Parks in Utah before driving North to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and over to Badlands and Mt Rushmore before returning to Denver. Based on the above we would be at Yellowstone in the first couple of days of May and I notice the only campground open at that point would be Madison campground without any hook ups. I realise this is weather dependant but I gather it should be fine to park the RV at the Campground for a few days to enjoy Yellowstone. Are there any other options such as simply booking a room for a few nights to ensure we don't is out on visiting Yellowstone? Thoughts appreciated.

Welcome to RTA!

You can't even count on the roads in Yellowstone being open that early, much less any facilities.

2015 Spring Road Opening Dates

Weather permitting, roads open at 8 am. Changes and delays are always possible.

April 17: Mammoth to Old Faithful;Madison to West Entrance;Norris to Canyon.
    May 1: Canyon Junction to Lake;Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
    May 8: Lake to South Entrance;Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
    May 22: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass); Beartooth Highway.
    June 11: Old Faithful to West Thumb (Craig Pass).
    The north and west entrances should be open, the east entrance MIGHT be open, the south entrance will NOT be open. I'd look at lodging in West Yellowstone or Gardiner. You will be driving a LONG way around to get between Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Default Unpredictable.

Yes it's impossible to predict what the weather will be doing so far in advance which makes it difficult to plan in advance. You could have sub zero temps which wouldn't be a lot of fun in an RV with no hook up. Is this a part of your planned larger trip, or is this a new plan altogether ? If it's just part of a bigger trip is there anyway you can push the dates back 3 or 4 weeks ? It would be a shame to be paying for the expense of an RV and then lodgings on top of that. The other option would be to find a campground[s] outside of the park and travel in each day, but that can be time consuming. Looking at the opening dates then West Yellowstone would be the safest bet at this time.

Hi Dave, this is now an abbreviated trip as we have to leave the US mid June, so our timeframe is fixed unfortunately. Will take all the advice above on board. Just checked the website to see when expected openings are so think we will continue planning our trip through CO and UT and check conditions closer to when we are likely to be there. Can I assume that being early Spring it should be relatively easy to get campsites at most of the National Parks we visit, or at least at KoA's?

Campsites, IF open at the National Parks, are often booked in advance even at odd times of the year (such as the March-June time-frame). The commercial RV parks may or may not be open, with some that are open on abbreviated hook-ups because of temperatures. I'd recommend that you try for reservations at the national parks NOW. Keep trying back if you are unsuccessful the first time, because other people's plans change and they cancel their reservations. Spring breaks are scheduled anywhere from mid-March to mid-April for most US schools in the West, and you will be competing with those folks.

As for "KOA's", you won't have to stick to that particular brand of RV park. There are many mom-and-pop brand RV parks that are just as nice, but not as expensive.

Donna