1. Default Traveling from Texas to San Fransisco, CA the second week of April 2015, any ideas?

Will be traveling from Friday 04/10/2015 through Sunday 04/19/2015. We will be driving and I have never traveled west of Texas. Any ideas on places to see or go. We will be traveling via I-10.
    Last edited by maribelgtovar; 03-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Default Three long days in the saddle

Welcome to the Great American Trip Forum. You are in for a treat. I remember the first time I drove east -- at the time I had never crossed the Mississippi River and every new mile brought a new discovery.

First of all, you won't have much time for sightseeing. I don't know where in Texas you are starting from -- but assuming it is some place like Dallas -- the shortest possible route would be 1727 miles and so you would need to drive at least 575 miles for each of those three days -- which is about 8 hours on the road -- once you factor in traffic slowdowns, stopping for fuel and food, etc.

The most direct route would route you to Amarillo and then west on I-40 (which follows much of the original Route 66 highway) to Victorville and then NW to San Francisco. If you could squeeze in one more day -- there are several side trips you could take -- including brief stops at up to three national parks along the way.

So, tell us a bit more about the trip. Will you be traveling alone? With family? With pets?

Mark

Default I think thats 8 hours +

I think this may be a typo.

you would need to drive at least 575 miles for each of those three days -- which is about 8 hours on the road -- once you factor in traffic slowdowns, stopping for fuel and food, etc.
    I think it's going to be at least 8 hours pure drive time to cover 575 miles, but realistically will be more like 10 hours [+] when you have factored in the slowdowns and stopping etc.

4. Default

We are two couples traveling from South Texas. We have gone to El Paso before and that takes us approximately about 11-12 hours. We are leaving at four in the morning and will be getting to El Paso at about 4 in the afternoon but with the time change it should be 3 pm. We are going directly to Ruidoso, NM and spending the night there. After that we don't know where else to go. We are four drivers and don't mind driving directly to the next destination to at least be able to sight see. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

4 drivers? Follow the "speed run" procedure for maximum safety if you are going to be driving that many hours in a day.

6. Default

I read the speed run procedure. Very informative. Thank you.

My fellow road trip members, does anyone have any suggestions of where to stop after Ruidoso, NM?

Quote Originally Posted by maribelgtovar
    We are leaving at four in the morning and will be getting to El Paso at about 4 in the afternoon but with the time change it should be 3 pm. We are going directly to Ruidoso, NM and spending the night there.
    You could shorten this drive by 80 miles by taking US Hwy. 285 north from Fort Stockton to Roswell, NM, then going west on US. Hwy 70 all the way to Ruidoso.

Quote Originally Posted by maribelgtovar
    My fellow road trip members, does anyone have any suggestions of where to stop after Ruidoso, NM?
    How far do you want to travel the next day? Do you have 10 days to make it from Texas to San Francisco and back? Or 10 days to go one way – South Texas to San Francisco?