1. Default Help Me Plan Roadtrip Colonial Williamsburg to NYC

Decided to take a last minute road trip with my nephews - 10 and 15 years old - during their Spring break, April 4 - 10. I was thinking about driving to Colonial Williamsburg in one shot and then driving back to Queens. Thought we would stop in DC and Philly on the way home. Not sure how much fun this trip would be so was hoping for suggestions. I am also open to other suggestions for a road trip out of NYC.

The boys are interested in history, nature, and of course, fun. Last year I flew them to Phoenix and we road tripped to Albuquerque - Mets game in PHX, Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Canyon de Chelly, Window Rock, Route 66, Albuquerque, etc. - 1300 miles. They got the road trip bug and I want to make sure this trip is good as well.

I really appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

Tucson, AZ

Default Making It Unique

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I take similar RoadTrips with my own two grandsons who are just about the same ages as your nephews, and what I've found intrigues them most is almost anything that's different from their day-to-day life. Yes, they enjoyed the Four Corners area, but also the Pacific Northwest and French Canada. What I'd be worried about with your present idea of heading down I-95 to Williamsburg is that Philadelphia and Washington just aren't that different from New York City. They're all big east coast cities with colonial heritage and the usual urban attractions such as zoos and museums. Neat enough but how about something completely different?

If you were to head south along the Jersey shore, you could make one stop - even an overnight - at a beach on your way south, then take an 'ocean going cruise' from Cape May over to Lewes DE. From there head for perhaps some unspoiled beach, a wildlife refuge with swimming ponies, and even a NASA launch facility. Then at the southern end of the Delmarva Peninsula, cross over the mouth of the Chesapeake (and maybe under some naval ships) before hooking back up into the Historic Triangle. Note that, as its name suggests, there is more to that area than Williamsburg. Also check out Jamestown, Yorktown and Busch Gardens. At the very end of your trip you could make the one day run back up to Queens or take an extra day and perhaps see some of the monuments and museums along the National Mall in Washington.

3. Default

OMG! That sounds a hell of a lot better than what I was thinking. I forget that there is more to the east coast than the cities.

Joplin MO

If all you wanted to do is visit the northeast cities - Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC - you might as well take the train instead of hassling with traffic. Driving is a lot more enjoyable when you stay away from I-95!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by intrigante View Post
    OMG! That sounds a hell of a lot better than what I was thinking. I forget that there is more to the east coast than the cities.
    Indeed that's true! As someone who grew up outside the cities, and still lives outside of the cities, there's a lot going on around here beyond just the major metropolitan centers. Some of that has to do with population density, of course, but some of it goes far back in our national history. I'd also recommend that if you see a sign for something that looks interesting, go investigate. Being flexible with your plans always makes for a memorable journey.

If you can, see if you can book a tour with Historic Jamestowne. My tour guide was one of the archaeologists doing the dig.

Colonial Williamsburg is fantastic. See if you can get your nephews in the soilder drill. Every part of the site is very well done.

Yorktown Battlefield. An interesting site. Also, a place where they can run and burn off some energy.