1. Default Road trip Sante Fe and Sedona

Will be traveling in late May, from Nashville, with two Shih Tzu's. wondering if there is anything worthwhile between Nashville and Santa Fe. Also, any must see and do in either location.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

I'm confused -- are you going from Nashville to Sedona and you are looking for things to do between Nashville and Santa Fe? Or are you going as far as Santa Fe?

We have the Map Centre on this site which will point you towards many, many attractions that are along your route. If you have more than 3 days to get you from Nashville to Sedona, you would have time to include some of them. Off the top of my head, I think about Memphis, Hot Springs National Park, some of the remnants of old US-66 (now decommissioned), and so much more. But it's your trip....what do YOU like to see when you're on trips?

3. Default

Going to Santa Fe then to Sedona. And, nobody in Tennessee, even Memphian's, want to go to Memphis. As for what to see; landscape, architecture and historic sites.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Basics

You basically want to just follow I-40 from Nashville to the Grand Canyon/Sedona area, but that won't necessarily get you to architecture, scenery, or history without a few 'detours'. I would agree with Donna's suggestion for Hot Springs National Park where pretty much the entire town is the national park, steeped in both history and architecture. Then rather than heading right back onto the Interstates, leave town on US-270 west to hook up with the Talimena Scenic Byway before using the Indian Nation Turnpike to head back up to I-40 and Oklahoma City for some recent history.

Continuing west, US-285 would take you from I-40 into Santa Fe. If you're going to spend any significant time there, I'd suggest that you take the High Road up to Taos and at least tour the Taos Pueblo and Kit Carson's home as well as check out the marketplace. As you head back out through Albuquerque, stops at Petroglyph National Monument and perhaps one of the units of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument would be in order. And, of course as you 're crossing northeastern Arizona, there's Petrified Forest National Park which includes portions of the Painted Desert.

Finally, in the Grand Canyon and Sedona area, there's so much more than just those well-known sites. For some history and scenery, check out Walnut Canyon National Monument, the Museum of Northern Arizona, Lowell Observatory, Oak Creek Canyon, Dead Horse Ranch State Park, Tuzigoot National Monument, and the town of Jerome.