Default Southern US roadtrip

I am trying to plan a southern US roadtrip this summer and am having a bit of a problem trying to occupy 2 weeks with lots of things to see and do. My Initial plan was to fly into Nashville and stay for a couple of days, then onto Memphis and stay for a couple of days as well. Then south into either Mississippi or Alabama and then onto to New Orleans ending in South Padre Island or another nice beach town in Texas. We enjoy amusement parks, historical sites, plantations, beaches, music, food....pretty much anything and everything. I've been to New Orleans once before and loved it and really want to show our 13 year old son the French Quarter, etc...anyone with any tips or suggestions?

Tucson, AZ

Default Loop or Otherwise

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You say that you're flying into Nashville, but you don't say where you're flying out of. I'm going to assume that that's an oversight and that you'll return to Nashville for the flight home. In that case, you'll want two completely different routes, one down to South Padre Island and the other back to Nashville. There is certainly enough along such a loop to occupy a couple of weeks. I'd probably start with an inland route southbound from Nashville down the Natchez Trace Parkway for just a bit to US-64 west through southern Tennessee and past Shiloh National Battlefield to Memphis (Graceland for the adults - Mud Island for your son who probably never even heard of Elvis. Continue on through Little Rock to Hot Springs (the entire town is a national park) and Crater of Diamonds State Park where you can try your hand at digging for actual diamonds - and keep any you find. Next up would be Dallas and the Sixth Floor Museum and then down through San Antonio (The Alamo and River Walk) and perhaps a short side trip west of their to Fredericksburg and the LBJ Ranch before finishing up on South Padre Island.

On the return trip northbound, you can follow the coast up to Houston and Space Center Houston, then wander the back roads of the Creole Nature Trail on your way to New Orleans. From there, a run up to Natchez and/or Vicksburg will let you see both antebellum homes and get a bit of Civil War history before hopping on the Natchez Trace for the final run up to Nashville. Even if this is a one way drive from Nashville to South Padre Island, you can combine some of the best (most appealing to you and your son) aspects of the above loop to make your own itinerary.

I should have mentioned that we are planning to fly back to Toronto from San Antonio so I guess the best bet would be to end the trip there rather than South Padre.

Hot Springs and Little Rock, I never even considered Arkansas! But after having read your reply and doing more research today I'm thinking this might be the way to go!

Thanks again for you reply!