1. Default Atlanta to San Antonio and Back

My boyfriend and I are planning a 16 night road trip, for late September/early October.

We'd like to fly in and out of Atlanta (from London), as this is cheaper both for flights and car hire.

This is our rough plan so far:

Fly into Atlanta and drive straight to Smoky Mountains,
    Smoky Mountains - 2 nights
    Nashville - 2 nights
    Memphis - 2 nights
    Dallas/Fort Worth - 1 night
    Austin - 2 nights
    San Antonio - 2 nights
    Houston - 1 night
    New Orleans - 2 nights
    Atlanta - 2 nights

Is this enough time in each of the places mentioned and are the drive times manageable?
    We could possibly break up the drive from New Orleans to Atlanta with a 1 night stop somewhere, possibly Montgomery or Tuscaloosa.

Thanks for your help!

South of England.

Default Start with a night in Atlanta.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

Having enough time is a different thing for different folks depending on what you want to see and do in each place, but overall your trip looks fine and manageable, apart from day 1 perhaps. Coming in on an International flight and planning on driving near to 200 miles after your trip to the UK airport, 3 hour check in, flight time, customs clearance and then collect your rental car is already going to be a long day and your body clocks will be a little confused. I would consider splitting your 2 nights in Atlanta into one each at the start and end of your trip.

Tucson, AZ

Default "Enough" is Relative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Each of the cities on your list would require far more than a day and a half to explore in depth. Indeed, it takes me a day just to figure out where things are and how to best get around any large city. Could you 'do' London in a couple of days? Well yes, if that's all the time you had but no, you certainly wouldn't be doing it justice. The older I get and the more I travel, the less I try to do on any given trip, not because I move slower (although I do, a bit) but because I've learned the hard way that I remember more and have more pleasant memories if I take the time to savor where I am rather than just check off a 'been there' box and rush off to the next spot. Your itinerary strikes me as such a box-checking exercise. Spending two nights in a given city really means that you only have one day in that city, with every other day spent packing up, driving to the next city, finding a room, and unpacking. So obviously my main suggestion to you would be that you cut back significantly on the number of different places you'll be staying and enjoy those fewer places more. Which ones to drop is entirely up to you, but I will note that you've got an awful lot of Texas in your current plans, and not much of the South which I think is one of your intended targets. You might also want to look for laces to stay outside (but near) big cities. Such sites often offer more peace and quiet, cheaper rates, and access to multiple cities. Just as an example, staying in San Marcos TX would let you see both Austin and San Antonio, each about an hour away, without having to be constantly changing where you stay.