1. Default 10-day Road trip starting and finishing in Kansas City

My brother is visiting me in Kansas City and I was thinking of taking 10 days off to go on a road trip with him. A lot of people have been suggesting we go to Colorado, and it sounds nice, we could do a bit of camping and hiking and floating etc there. But I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. We are looking to go to place x and back in 10 days, we're in our 20s and like the nature as much as big cities. We're also Brits so we want to see as many things as possible!

South of England.

Default Hard to beat Colorado and Utah.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

I think with the time you have and the interests you mention, Colorado would be hard to beat. A lot will depend on how much time you want to spend hiking and floating etc to time in the car. With a long first day in the car you could reach Denver and get a Motel room and then head towards Estes park and Rocky mountain NP next day and set up camp. Lots of great hikes around Bear Lake and then you could drive over the Trail Ridge road across the park, weather permitting. There are plenty of otyher attractions, such as Colorado National Monument, Black canyon of the Gunnison and Mesa Verde NP with scenic drives like the 'Million dollar Highway' [US550] through the mountain towns of Ouray and Silverton. You could do a nice loop trip going out via RMNP and I70 and back along US50 via some of the other attractions mentioned. In between there is Manitou Springs with Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds and Pikes Peak nearby. You could even extend your trip into Southern Utah and hike and camp in Arches and Canyonlands NP's and arrange a river trip from Moab. Another place to do boating is in the Currecanti National Recreation area near Black canyon on US50.

You haven't got a whole lot of time so you will have to pick and choose carefully based on what appeals to you and how long you want to drive for.

Southern California

I would second the suggestion that Dave gave you: Colorado! Just for the record, it's about 600 miles from KC to Denver, about 11 hours in the car including your stops. Do watch the weather, depending of course when your trip will be. Rocky Mountain Park would be beautiful, but it's quite possible that Trail Ridge Road would be closed. However, Moraine Park Campground is open year-round on a first-come, first-served basis. It would be a good place to "home base". It could also be COLD, as the elevation is 9500 ft! So you'd HAVE to have cold weather camping gear.

Melbourne, Australia

Default More on Colorado

Colorado is a place where you could spend a month or more. so much to see and do. If I were you I would get a detailed map of the State, or a road atlas, and see just how many attractions there are. At the Colorado Welcome centre on I-70 pick up a free State map, even if you already have another map. The State maps are excellent.

If you head into Colorado along I-70 and head north to RMNP, as suggested above, and see some of the sights through central CO, you could head down south towards Durango for the trip back, creating a large loop trip. Don't count on the Trail Ridge Road being open, it is seasonal and at over 12000' can be closed at a moment's notice by a blizzard.

Near Durango is Mesa Verda NP, a wonderful park of the history of about a thousand years ago. You can then start your trip home along US160, a wonderfully scenic route. It will take you through Pagosa Springs, with its wonderful hot springs; over Wolf Creek Pass to the lovely little town of Alamosa and the nearby Sand Dunes NP. You'll love a hike in there, up to the top of the dunes. If you cannot get a camping spot inside the NP, there is a large campground, just outside the entrance of the park.

South of the NP and south of US160 is San Luis, with the magnificent bronze life size statues of the Way of the Cross.

You could close the loop by taking I-25 north to Colorado Springs with the nearby Garden of the Gods and other attractions. US24 will then get you back to Limon and I-70.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice guys! We'll be heading there beginning of April. We now have a lot to think about!!