Default August road trip for solo female

Hi all, greetings from the UK.

I always loved the U.S. I happen to be turning 50 in August and my son has just decided to get married in Vegas so I'm taking the opportunity of a mini-bucket list road trip on a budget.

I plan to fly to Chicago on 2nd August and from there will get a bus to Nashvile (always wanted to go there) so get to Nashville say 4th (my birthday) and stay overnight. From there I want to hire a car and set off to arrive in Vegas for the wedding on 12th so gives me 7 days. I'm open to the option of taking a bus/train various parts of the journey too.

I want to see various sites off the beaten track not just big cities and my rough route would like to take in Oklahoma, Amarillo and the Grand Canyon. I am currently going through as many guide books as I can get my hands on but I don't want big cities/chain hotels etc more to get feel for the real America and obviously the cheapest way I can!!

Any trips, help with route planning, advice for travelling alone etc, places must see/things to do would be very much appreciated. My route isn't set in stone, just the final destination, so I am open to suggestions

Cheers

Jayne

Welcome to RTA!

Why not rent the car in Chicago and drive to Nashville? It can be driven easily in one day (8 hours via motorways) and no more than $75 in petrol, you could take 2 days and do some sightseeing on that leg too. I will drive in a heartbeat before I'll ride 500 miles in a bus.

Nashville to Las Vegas via motorways can be done in 3 days, so with 7 days you can see quite a lot without feeling rushed.

Hiya, thanks glc

I thought about hiring the car from Chicago - but the megabus (I use a lot in the UK) is only $10 so thought I'd make use of it :-) just thinking of cost - in August the bulk of my spending is the flights from England which are probably 2/3rds of the cost of the whole trip *gulp*

You need to compare the car rental costs, including the one way drop fee.

Default In the US you travel by car.

I'm with glc. There is no comparison between bus travel in UK and USA (and Oz for that matter). Where as we generally use bus for transport, short and long distance, in the US the standard transport is car.

On my early trips I did quite a bit of unavoidable bus travel. Can't say I ever enjoyed it, and at times, as a solo senior female, felt very uncomfortable. I would highly recommend you hire your vehicle in Chicago. Use one of the European consolidators. We regularly hear of folk getting very good deals from them, including in some cases having 'extras' waived.

Lifey

Lifey brings up a good point. Trying not to be offensive, but the clientele that's going to pay $10 to go from Chicago to Nashville on a bus is generally going to be somewhat unsavory.