Summerville, South Carolina, United States

Default First time family trip from Charleston, SC up the coast into Canada to P.E. Island

I am new to this site and not sure the best way to use it. I would love help on the best route and attractions to see as we travel up the coast as well as the best KOA's to stay at. Places we definitely want to see is the historic side of Philadelphia, the Statue of Liberty in NY, Civil War battle grounds, and beautiful nature sites. We want go to Vermont and Maine especially the coast of Maine and enter Canada through there. On the way back we would love to circle around and head to Niagara Falls and the Creation Museum in KY. We have seen D.C and Williamsburg, VA so we can knock that off the list. We will be pulling a Scamper and staying at KOA sites along the way. We are giving ourselves 3 weeks for this trip and want to make the most out of it trying to figure out which are the best things to see and do along the East Coast and Canada. If anyone has made a similar trip I would love to hear about it. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to RTA!

Any particular reason you have to stay at a KOA? They are as commercial as a campground gets and really cater to RV's and motorhomes. They are also comparatively expensive. We usually recommend you find public campgrounds in state and local parks, they are considerably cheaper and are a lot closer to nature.

Welcome to RTA!

I will second glc's comments about "why KOA?" I can appreciate that you may want hookups such as electricity, water, and a ready dump-station. Some public campgrounds will offer hookups (partial or full), but many will not.

My husband and I used to have a trailer, and we preferred campsites that at least offered electricity. Water was negotiable as long as we could pick up a load of water easily, and a dump station almost mandatory. Many times, we found a place through Good Sam's Trailer Life directory (which has now merged with Woodall's). It was rare for us to stay at a KOA, though we did stay at many ex-KOA's (which still had the old trademark A-frame office/facilities building). BTW, I'm the daughter of a former KOA owner.

Donna

Default Other than KOA.

There is a very nice campground west of Plymouth MA, at Carver. Not far out of town. All covered with pine trees, by a lovely lake.

Lifey

Default When ?

I am new to this site and not sure the best way to use it
    Hello and welcome. The best way by far is to search around the forums and road trip planning pages above for ideas and inspiration and to keep asking questions as and when they arise during your planning. [Don't be shy] ;-) If you could mention when this trip is to take place we can the put your thread into the correct forum. [Spring, Summer or Fall and winter]

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

I will second glc's comments about "why KOA?" I can appreciate that you may want hookups such as electricity, water, and a ready dump-station. Some public campgrounds will offer hookups (partial or full), but many will not.

My husband and I used to have a trailer, and we preferred campsites that at least offered electricity. Water was negotiable as long as we could pick up a load of water easily, and a dump station almost mandatory. Many times, we found a place through Good Sam's Trailer Life directory (which has now merged with Woodall's). It was rare for us to stay at a KOA, though we did stay at many ex-KOA's (which still had the old trademark A-frame office/facilities building). BTW, I'm the daughter of a former KOA owner.

Donna
    Thanks for your reply. It doesn't have to be KOA, we have never done anything like this before so are totally clueless. lol Campsites sounds great actually. I guess I just figured the KOA's were easy but we if they are not the best then we are happy to change that idea. As you can see we need all the advice and help we can get with this trip. I am so overwhelmed by it all and just want to have the best experience as we can.

We are planning on the last 2 weeks of June 1st week of July, not set on that but it is what we are planning around.

I guess I just figured the KOA's were easy but we if they are not the best then we are happy to change that idea.
    Easy, yes. Inexpensive, no. The KOA owner must compensate for the price of the franchise and the facilities required by said-franchise, so the costs are usually higher at a KOA than your average privately-owned, non-franchise RV park/campground. However, with KOA you will find EWS (electric, water, sewer) hookups, pull-through sites, a decent place for bathroom/showers, a convenience store that must stock certain items, laundromat, and some sort of recreation offerings. All that for a price that sometimes equals the cost of a budget-motel room.

Donna