1. Default Aloha from hawaii planning our great escape

OK so here it goes, we currently live on the big island of Hawaii and are planning a great escape. Combined we have lived here for 20 years and want more for our children. We hope to plan to fly into Anchorage Alaska visit family then get on the ferry from Kake and travel the inside passage to Prince Rupert and then start our road trip from there and end in Florida. The main places we must stop is Los angeles, Sun city west Arizona, PA. We have no set plans on directions and are looking for advice on routes, fund raising during our trip and where the best place is to buy our rig. I will be traveling with 5 people 2 adults and 3 children all over the age of 8 and 2 dogs. I do make clothing out of recycled products and plan on doing that as one way of making money I create out of anything really and have been pretty successful when I put 100% into it which I plan to do. My husband has an income and I hope this trip is more permanent then not. Meaning I'd like to live on the road for as long as I can. I want to home school and spread my love to everyone we all know we need more of it to go around. Any and all suggestions are welcome just no bashing. Most think I'm crazy I hear enough of that.. Mahalo and Aloha From Hawaii

Default Try planning as you go.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiehippie39 View Post
    Most think I'm crazy I hear enough of that.
    Oh, I can relate to that. Can be hard to ignore, but just continue ignoring, and do your own thing.

I don't know anything about raising funds along the way. But what I do know is just hit the road. If you want to live on the road as long as possible, why not start looking for a rig now, and purchase it long distance. You need to be sure you find someone local who can check it out for you, someone independent. This can be done. It could take a while and involve many emails and probably more phone calls. Been there, done that! I purchased my van from 12K miles away. If you have family or friends, you may be able to harness their talents.

As for your trip.... I like hitting the road on the advice of the locals, such as rangers, forestry officers etc. So many knowledgable folk around with information you will never find on the internet.

You might consider driving from Prince Rupert along the Highway of Tears (17) up the Cassair (37) and down the Alcan to Dawson Creek. Then through the Canadian Rockies over the Icefields Parkway to the US border, before you start on your lower 48 adventure. Not sure how you would work it, unless you rent a vehicle while in Canada.... but it seems a shame not to see the best of Canada while you are up there.

Have you thought of purchasing an RV in AK?

Lifey

Welcome to RTA!

The first thing that came to mind, as I read your query, was "Workamper News". You'll find it at this link.

Second thing that came to mind -- if you buy an RV, are you going to have to sell it when you finish your trip, or are you going to store it somewhere in the ConUS? Are you planning to purchase new or used? (Either way, I'd skip trying to buy one in California. They won't be prepped for winter weather in any way, and both insurance and sales tax are high.)

You're also going to have to figure out how to license, insure, and register the rig, once you purchase it. Most states will want you to have a permanent address for license and registration, and in that particular state.

Donna

From what I understand, the easiest state to title and register a vehicle in for a non-resident is Washington.

Default Actually two.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    From what I understand, the easiest state to title and register a vehicle in for a non-resident is Washington.
    And Florida.

In Florida you can give up to two addresses - your Florida address and your permanent address. Guess that is designed to accommodate the snowbirds. Insurance should not be a problem, as no doubt you have a US drivers licence and SS number. Are you able to use the company you use at home?

The problem I see is that the OP wants to start the trip in Canada. Seems to me it would be tons better to purchase the rig in AK, especially since they have family there who could check it out.

Lifey

In that case, they could just register it at the family's address in AK. Only concerns I have is how much used RV's cost in AK, and what kind of condition they would be in.

7. Default

thank you sooo much for responding. I will write all your sites down because we do want to show our children many different natural places thank you soo much

8. Default

thank you for all that advice. Probably going to use an alaska address

9. Default

yes I'm trying to plan the purchase of an RV in Alaska and that should cover the weathering part and the family helping.