Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Arizona

Ok, this is new plan for our Spring trip of 2015.
    Leaving mid April-May(probably mid April) 14-21 days or in between?

About us, from Canada, driving truck,tent camping, & some budget motels. Interests are easy hikes, slot canyons, natural wonders, state parks & national parks, native sites. Big cities not an interest.Like to drive thru places sometimes at a fast pace, but that is what we like to do. We will buy the AMERICA BEAUTIFUL PASS-$80-as we are seeing many NP & NM.

DAY 1-2- LEAVE BC-BELCOURT ND,1500-1600 KMS... Probably drive 4 hrs stay at relatives & then push on other 10 hrs next day.

DAY 3- STAY IN BELCOURT( No Option for this is must do)

DAY 4- BELCOURT-Via 3-83Hwy-RUGBY-DETOUR OFF TO MOBRIDGE???(To see MISSOURI RIVER, IT LOOKS BIG HERE??) Or see in PIERRE? HELP HERE??
    -BADLANDS NP-Via 240-Scenic Loop-WALL-RAPID CITY 905 KMS
    SPEND NIGHT IN RAPID CITY

DAY 5-RAPID CITY-STURGIS-DEADWOOD-MT RUSHMORE-CRAZY HORSE-(Backtrack to Mt Rushmore)- IRON MT ROAD(16A)-WILDLIFE LOOP ROAD-WIND CAVE NP(do CAVE TOUR)-HOT SPRINGS( If don't have time to do Cave Tour will drive back in am & do it)
    I took out Custer(town)as the other roads looked more scenic...THOUGHTS??? 287 KMS
    STAY NIGHT IN HOT SPRINGS

DAY 6-HOT SPRINGS-GLENWOOD SPRINGS (760 KMS)- STAY NIGHT

DAY 7-GLENWOOD SPRINGS-ARCHES NP (VIA 128 SCENIC BYWAY) ( 320 KMS)-STAY NIGHT

DAY 8-ARCHES NP-BLUFF-GOOSENECK SP-MONUMENT VALLEY-STAY NIGHT

DAY 9-MONUMENT VALLEY-CANYON DE CHELLEY NM-PETRIFIED FOREST NP-HOLBROOK (400 KMS)- STAY NIGHT

DAY 10-HOLBROOK-SEDONA(190 KMS)-STAY 2 NIGHTS

DAY 11-SEDONA-STAY NIGHT

DAY 12-SEDONA-SUNSET CRATER NM-WUPATKI NM( Is this worth seeing???)-PAGE(VIA 89T) (255 KMS)-STAY NIGHT**ANTELOPE SLOT CANYON TOUR** HORSESHOE BEND

DAY 13-PAGE**SLOT CANYON TOUR**-ZION NP(170 KMS)-STAY 2 NIGHTS

DAY 14-ZION NP-STAY NIGHT

DAY 15-ZION NP-BRYCE NP-STAY NIGHT???? IN AREA?? RED ROCK CANYON???

DAY 16-
    Last edited by bctraveler; 02-15-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Default Colorado!

If this were me, and knowing you have travelled quite a bit, I would spend the rest of my time in Colorado.

RMNP - the trail ridge road is not likely to be open - Mesa Verda NP and the areas around Colorado Springs - Garden of the Gods, Sand Dunes NP, the beautiful bronze statues of the Way of the Cross in San Luis and so much more. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Colorado NM near Grand Junction. Heading back north there is Dinosaur NM.

There are two tourist trains in CO, the Royal Gorge train along the Arkansas River from Canon City and the little steam train from Durango to Silverton. There is also the Royal Gorge Bridge, though this is very much a touristy place.

There is no end of scenic routes. If you are up to it, there is the Million Dollar Highway, there is US160 over Wolf Creek Pass, almost 11000', (between the Great Sand DunesMP and Mesa Verda NP) Just off I-70 which is probably the most scenic interstate in the country, there is Loveland Pass (US6) at almost 12000'.

You might be interested in checking out Trapper Lake. Some lovely camping and hiking up there as well as fishing, if you are into that.

Heck I could spend a month in Colorado, and still not see it all.

Lifey

Thanks Lifey, Some of those places were on my list for sure. We have been to Colorado NM, but none of the rest. Zion, Page, Monument Valley are on my list... some we have been to but would like to see more of... so many places to see. thanks for all help. We want to go warmer so not sure how warm it will be in Colorado but I will check that out now.

Default Seeing one area in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by bctraveler View Post
    Zion, Page, Monument Valley are on my list... some we have been to but would like to see more of...
    If they are the focus of your trip, I would head straight there, and spend the two weeks in southern Utah and northern Arizona (and if time permits western California). Just like Colorado, there is a large number of attractions there, to check out properly. Leaving you free to choose another area to explore in depth next trip. There is also any number of interesting routes from southern Canada, which can take you there.

I take it you are checking all this on good paper maps.

Lifey

If you are headed to Monument Valley from Hot Springs, look at the following:

Take US-18 to Lusk, then either US-85 to just north of Cheyenne to pick up I-25 or US-20 to I-25. Take that to Denver, then I-70 west. Take the detour over Loveland Pass on US-6 instead of going through the Eisenhower Tunnels. Either stay on I-70 to Grand Junction and go east on US-50, or at Glenwood Springs take CO-82/CO-133/CO-92 to Delta. Take US-50 to Montrose, then US-550 (the Million Dollar Highway) to Durango. from there take US-160 past Mesa Verde and past 4 Corners into the Monument Valley area. This is going to take 2 days and probably a good portion of a 3rd. If you just want to get to Monument Valley in 2 days, you will have to get to I-25 the quickest way - US-20 out of Lusk - and stay on I-70 to US-191 through Moab. If you do this, you can get off I-70 at Utah Exit 212 and take UT-128 through Castle Valley to US-191 just north of Moab. Would be a shame to just blow through Moab when that's where Arches and Canyonlands are.

So - you have a lot of choices, all time and interest-dependent.

I have been checking over maps & was thinking Colorado is a place to see when weather is warmer & all the passes & parks are open totally. I saw that only a small portion of Black Canyon of Gunnison is open at that time of year. I had decided that Utah will be warmer so that is where will go & leave Colorado till another trip.

GLC- I will add 128 into Moab to my route, I was looking at hot springs, lusk-LARAMIE-(230-134) to I-70- Glenwood Springs(spend nite) Google map has it as 20 min longer than going the freeway route thru Denver...I thought this might be more scenic?? BUT I have never been in that area, so have no idea.

We were in Moab area last year... did Colorado NM-Canyonlands,etc. The only thing we have done at Arches was a quick drive to first view areas a few years ago. So was thinking could make Arches a stop for a day. It is only 3hrs from Glenwood Springs so would have rest of day & part of next to see sights- then head towards Monument Valley. We have also been there but did just a quick drive thru.. we would like to camp there & do a good tour as it is so beautiful there.

Thanks again for help... has anybody went near the Missouri River? For that portion of my trip??

Default Could detour via Flat Top

Quote Originally Posted by bctraveler View Post
    ...Lusk-LARAMIE-(230-134) to I-70- Glenwood Springs(spend nite)
    A not too large a detour would take you through the Flat Top Wilderness over the
    Flat Top Trail, and right by Trappers Lake and many other great camping areas.

[Have to admit I can not find either 230 or 134 on my maps.]

Lifey

DAY 5-RAPID CITY-STURGIS-DEADWOOD-MT RUSHMORE-CRAZY HORSE-(Backtrack to Mt Rushmore)- IRON MT ROAD(16A)-WILDLIFE LOOP ROAD-WIND CAVE NP(do CAVE TOUR)-HOT SPRINGS( If don't have time to do Cave Tour will drive back in am & do it). I took out Custer(town)as the other roads looked more scenic...THOUGHTS??? 287 KMS STAY NIGHT IN HOT SPRINGS
    This is a lot to do in one day in this area. Please bear in mind that Iron Mountain Road and the Wildlife Loop Road are both very SLOW going roads. Stopping at viewpoints to look and take photographs, getting stuck in an animal jam more than once, it took us the better part of 5 hours to do the Iron Mountain Scenic drive and about 3 to do the Wildlife Loop Road.

Also bear in mind that the Wind Cave tours are limited to certain numbers of people. You could feasibly go in the morning and find out that the next tour that you want to do is 3 hours later. We got there at 8 and the next available tour was 9:30, which wasn't too bad -- gave us time to look at the museum.

We stayed at Custer City. It's a touristy town, with places to eat, motels, gift shops, and a museum or two. You'll probably just drive through it between Custer State Park and the two monuments.

Donna

230 runs southwest from Laramie to the CO border at Mountain Home. 134 runs west from US-40 north of Kremmling to 131 at Toponas.

I don't think you will have time to go cross-country between Lusk and Glenwood Springs if you want to do this in one day. It's a lot longer than just 20 minutes. Go through Denver and take the Loveland Pass detour around the tunnels. I-70 is as scenic as anything else. You will hit Denver in mid-day so traffic won't be much of an issue.

By the way, it's rude to edit a post after people have replied to it. Please indicate in a new reply that it's been edited, or repost it with the edits and indicate that it's been edited. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    230 runs southwest from Laramie to the CO border at Mountain Home. 134 runs west from US-40 north of Kremmling to 131 at Toponas.

I don't think you will have time to go cross-country between Lusk and Glenwood Springs if you want to do this in one day. It's a lot longer than just 20 minutes. Go through Denver and take the Loveland Pass detour around the tunnels. I-70 is as scenic as anything else. You will hit Denver in mid-day so traffic won't be much of an issue.

By the way, it's rude to edit a post after people have replied to it. Please indicate in a new reply that it's been edited, or repost it with the edits and indicate that it's been edited. Thanks.
    I am sorry if you think I was being rude???? I went in and updated my itinerary as I only had till day 5... used information that I found useful... so am I supposed to re post my plans everytime I change them??

I also DID NOT say it was 20 min from Lusk to Glenwood Springs... I have never been to area & said that google maps said it was 20 minutes longer to go this route than through Denver.

I am open to suggestions.. that is what this site is for right? but hopefully positive ones that help with planning