1. Default Road Trip help from San Antonio to California

So three of my other friends and I are looking to do a road trip from Dallas to the Redwood national forrest. We are looking into renting an RV (we are old enough to rent one), and we need some help with the itinerary. It looks like we can do a 10 day trip. The main places we want to stop are -

Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas (just shortly)
    Yosemite Park
    Lake Tahoe
    Redwood Park

I was just curious if y'all could shed some light on the time we should spend in each place, etc. Or if anyone has done a similar trip, we would love to see your itinerary! We are willing to drive straight through to our first stop (grand canyon), with rotating drivers in order to maximize our time. Thanks for your help

Default Round trip ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

First of all, even when rotating drivers, it's going to be a 2 day drive to the Grand canyon and while the vehicle is moving each passenger must be sitting and belted into a seat. Is this going to be a one way trip or a return ? If it's a round trip then you really are trying to cover to many miles in 10 days for it to be fun and have time to properly experience the places you are visiting. An Rv can be a great 'Lifestyle' choice but it's going to cost you more than a car and Motels by the time you have added the associated costs and it's going to be slower going. If it's a round trip I would consider going to the Grand canyon and Vegas and then into Southern Utahs National parks, Zion, Bryce Arches etc and loop back home, leaving the Redwoods and Yosemite etc for another trip when perhaps you will have more time.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Are you planning to return to Dallas at the end of your trip? As it is right now, traveling in an RV, this would be quite a lot to try to fit in as a one way trip. Even if you were just to go from the Redwoods back to San Francisco to drop off the RV and Fly home, that would really be pushing the limits of what you can safely and reasonably do.

Driving "straight through" to the Grand Canyon is homicidal. There is no way to do it safely, even by rotating drivers. Even if you got there without killing yourself or someone else, is a horrific way to start a trip and nearly a guarantee that you'll all be tired, cranky, and at each others throats for the rest of the trip.

There's a lot we don't know about your plans, but at first glance, I see a lot of red flags, where it appears you're falling into the classic trap of trying to do way too much with way too little time. That's a problem that is only made worse by traveling in an RV. If you're looking for a speed run, whirlwind trip, then an RV is about the worst possible choice for a vehicle.

4. Default

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the advice. We are now also looking into driving just my truck. So we would want to camp most nights along the way, with a few scattered nights in motels. We are all avid campers and have been on many hiking and camping trips across colorado and Wyoming.

We are wanting to leave in early August, somewhere around the 8th or 9th. Our time table is not exactly set in stone, and so I guess my question is how long do you think we would need to do each of these attractions. And yes we are looking to return to San Antonio after the trip. So just disregard the RV plan, we have decided to scrap it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

If you want to go from San Antonio to the Redwoods and back, seeing everything you can, how many weeks can you spare? To put this in perspective - just driving it via fastest route with no sightseeing stops or detours will take 4 days each way. If you want to camp, enjoy the great outdoors, do a bit of city life, and see some spectacular scenery I'd plan on 3 weeks. If you only have 10 days, you need to scale it back a LOT.

Well, just look at what you've laid out so far of what you want to see.

You need 2 days to drive to the Grand Canyon - that is not optional.
    Take 1 day to see GC.
    A half day to drive to LV and then the rest of the day to look around the city.
    A day to drive to Yosemite, followed by a day to actually see it.
    Another day to drive to Redwoods, followed by a day to see them.

Right there, that's 8 days at a pace that is quite brisk and would actually be so fast paced that camping would be a challenge, although not impossible. As GLC mentioned, even to sprint back to Texas, you need 4 more days.

So at a bare minimum, you're already at needing 12 days for this trip, and that actually skipped Lake Tahoe. To be able to do this at a pace that would be enjoyable, and not require speed run drives, at the very least, you're going to need a long two weeks (taking advantage of weekends for an extra day or two) to three weeks.

Remember if you are camping, it will take more time in the morning to break camp than you think, and then to set up camp in the evening. My husband and I used to tent camp a lot. The rule was no more than 400 miles in a day if we had to set up the tent and/or tear it down in the morning. We tried 600 miles twice and found out that it was just too much to enjoy the camping at the end of the day.

Donna

Default Considering all the above....

Make sure you leave enough flexibility in your time table that should it per chance rain, or even a heavy dew, you will need to wait till the tent is dry before breaking camp and packing up.

Lifey

I agree with Michael, you need a minimum of 16 days and 21 would be a lot better to have time to enjoy the trip and the places you are visiting. If you can only manage 14 days I would cut out the coastal Redwoods and enjoy the Giant Sequoia trees in Yosemite. That's going to save you a couple of days driving.