Default First ever RV holiday with kids - advice needed.

Hi and Hello, my first post.
    We are living in TAmpa having moved over from the UK last year.
    This summer we want to see some of the west and Grand Canyon and our starting to plan an RV holiday, this is were we need you help. Are our ideas realistic? We also need advice on booking overnight stops, do you have to book or can you just turn up?

The plan is we fly to vegas on 6th June, have 2-3 nights there to see the town and then pick up the RV.
    The Kids are 10 and 7 and there are 4 of us in total, we would like to see one of the lakes and take a boat out?
    We want to see the grand canyon. (My son wants to see the four corners is that worth going to?)

Our initial idea is to pick up the RV head out towards the grand canyon and maybe finish up in Denver, we fly back on the 21st so will have the RV for about 12 days? Is this a realistic idea or would we be better doing a round trip and ending back in Vegas?
    Our other thoughts was to head towards San Francisco and fly back from there.

Advice would be really appreciated, we don't want to spend every day driving and when we do drive want to keep it to a mx of about 4-6 hours on the road at a time.

The thing is some of the places we want to see are both east and west of Vegas (Grand Canyon - Death Valley) can we do both or should we just decide one way or the other.

Also do we have to book into the RV camps in advance, for a June trip when would we need to start booking? What happens if you can't get into a park, can you just stop anywhere and sleep overnight?

Advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Great family adventure.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

First off, the major disadvantage of doing a one way trip is the rather large one way drop off fee on your rental. The good news is you could do a great loop trip out of Vegas and include lots of amazing National Parks. One example would be LV >GC > Monument valley > Arches and Canyonlands NP's near Moab, > Capitol Reef NP > Bryce canyon via Utah scenic 12 > Zion NP > Las Vegas. Death valley is not far from Vegas and could be done at the start or end of your trip but I would consider taking a day trip there in a car during your Vegas stay. Its possible an RV rental company will not let you take it into Death valley in June. Four corners is one of those oporune moments if in the area, but there is nothing much to see or do other than have your photo taken with a limb in each of the four States. If you went out that way you could work Mesa Verde NP into the mix but with limited time you will have to pick and choose. Lake Powell around the Page AZ area do boat trips, one famous one takes you out to Rainbow Bridge.

You should be booking your RV sites asap, there are a limited number of RV sites in the NP's and they are in high demand. If you cant get one you would need to look at private campground outside, but no you can't just pull up someplace and camp.

thanks for the advice, got me thinking, if I post a planned route can you advise?

Default Four Corners et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Four corners is one of those oportune moments if in the area, but there is nothing much to see or do other than have your photo taken with a limb in each of the four States. If you went out that way you could work Mesa Verde NP into the mix....
    Your children will love Four Corners, even though it is a touristy place. If you can, get there early, it can get crowded. Native people from each State have stalls, so you can also get a taste (literally) of their culture and souvenirs. It is a great opportunity to see and learn about the different peoples who occupied the continent before European settlement.

I would be wary of including Mesa Verda NP. It is a large park, it is best seen and appreciated by doing the ranger led tours, both of which take time. Detouring via Four Corners - from Grand Canyon to Moab - will take you through amazing country, and will give you a good sample of what Monument Valley is like, if you don't have time to do the jeep tour through the Park.

Lifey

If I recall correctly, too, in Mesa Verde the road from the entrance station to the campground is 5 miles of twisty-turny road, "not fun" if you are new to driving an RV.

Donna

can anyone please recommend an RV rental company in Las Vegas, and the best sites to go to being new to this? we plan to spend2 nights max in each site so are just looking for about 6 in a round trip starting in Lake Mead (visit hoover dam) then the flagstaff area, (is it easy to take an RV into the town?), then grand canyon, monument valley, canyonlands NP, Zion NP. I will go for a standard RV sleeping 4-6. Nothing really big.
    Thanks

There are quite a few RV rental companies in Vegas and I would suggest you look at what offers each might have at the time you travel and compare prices. Major rental companies like Cruise America and El Monte usually have the right back up should you have any problems along the way. As I mentioned in my previous post, booking sites in the National parks should be a priority and you can find campground info in each one by searching the nps.gov website. Grand canyon south rim has 2 RV campgrounds near the village and rim area, Trailer village with hook ups and Mather without. If you are planning on visiting Arches NP the Devils garden campground is pretty cool and in Zion NP, The Watchman.

The most commonly used companies that we have seen recommended: RoadBear, Camping World, El Monte RV, and Cruise America. Remember as you make inquiries, ensure that everything you need will be included in the bottom line: cooking package, linen package, RV care package (sewer and water hoses), and if you are not returning in the same place, any one-way drop fee. Find out what happens if something goes wrong with the vehicle on your trip (such as your refrigerator dies). Every company is going to be different in that.

Donna