Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Seattle- Salt Lake City- Grand Canyon-Phoenix-LA-San Fran-Redwood-Portland-Issaquah..

Thank you Roadtrip America for providing such a forum, and to all the contributors for their time in making it worthwhile: Im delighted to have found you and hope to learn lots.

We have for various reasons elected to drive vice fly to Phoenix for a sports event, and are looking for tips on best roads for the trip.

Our itinerary is:

Seattle
    Salt Lake City
    Grand Canyon
    Phoenix
    LA
    Yosemite
    San Francisco
    Redwood National Park
    Portland
    Seattle

Im hoping to ask for input from anyone about different routes from Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon (seems to be 3 routes, any opinions on sightseeing options for each?). We are in a 29ft Class C and hoping to weigh off fuel considerations against must see spots and tricky winter roads.

Any tips on:
    Road conditions
    Mountainous roads
    Monument Valley worth going the long way around for?

Can I assume that rest stops/rv dump stations are the same regularity as in Washington?

Finally for the return trip: any roads to avoid with a class c coming up the coast (and are we right in trying to hug the coast for scenery?).

Any advice much appreciated! TIA. (I should clarify we are Antipodean and still learning States, so our knowledge of anything beyond Seattle is very slim- roads and highways etc are a steep learning curve).
    Last edited by ELH; 02-05-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Amplification

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The first thing which comes to my mind is, have you thought of maybe reversing the trip... hugging the coast on your way south. That way you will have the ocean on your side of the road. This applies particularly on the Pacific Coast Highway CA1 between SF and LA. It means you will not need to cross over the oncoming traffic to drive into and out of the many overlooks and viewpoints along this spectacular bit of the coast.

It depends very much on the time you have available and what you consider to be 'worth it', but for my choice, even just driving through Monument Valley with out the tours through the tribal park, is more than worth it.

Lifey

Welcome to RTA!

Can I suggest you reverse the direction of your trip, so the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road when driving the coast?

Regardless of which direction you go, between SLC and the GC I'd recommend AZ-64/US-89/UT-20/I-15.

If this is a winter trip, you may be required to have tire chains to visit Yosemite.

Default Mapping.

Two vital pieces of info are missing; When do you travel ? How much time do you have for the trip ? Thanks.

Im hoping to ask for input from anyone about different routes from Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon (seems to be 3 routes, any opinions on sightseeing options for each?).
    There are literally hundreds of possible route variations. This tells me that at the moment you have just put in an A to B journey with Google maps. You can 'drop and drag' the blue route line to 'bend it' to where you would like to go, but you can't beat paper maps for planning and they are essential when travelling. People blindly following a gps have been known to get in all sorts of difficulties and in the past has even led to fatalities.

5. Default

Thank you all, apologies for the delay. Firstly shortly after posting I discovered my bunk bed was saturated and spent a solid 3 full days gutting and putting back together. Only had time to google repair techniques.

We originally had 4.5 days to get to Phoenix (tournament starts Friday) but I lost a day due repairs and couldn't leave before yesterday, Monday pm. Good news is we are on our way, and currently in Twin Falls Idaho.

With 4.5 days (now 3.5 days) to get there and 7 days on the way home, we chose inland down and coastal home as felt more to see coastal. Good points about road side for views though, that's a shame.

My urgent concern is which road from Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon? I love the idea of monument valley (I have seen some years ago and love to show the kids) but what do I miss on the shorter routes?

And of course, which roads are safest with my class c?

Thanks again for the responses, I'm grateful for the resource.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Two vital pieces of info are missing; When do you travel ? How much time do you have for the trip ? Thanks.

There are literally hundreds of possible route variations. This tells me that at the moment you have just put in an A to B journey with Google maps. You can 'drop and drag' the blue route line to 'bend it' to where you would like to go, but you can't beat paper maps for planning and they are essential when travelling. People blindly following a gps have been known to get in all sorts of difficulties and in the past has even led to fatalities.
    I so agree. I would have LOVED an old fashioned road directory, discovering routes was half the fun and yes, GPS inputs are frustratingly limiting and time consuming to adapt. I tried the click and drag route change on here but found it delayed and difficult on a smart phone. Simply: I would've liked an extra week at least to grab a directory/plan my route/gain more input, but the weather is mild (fantastic actually, that would've been a deal breaker) so we can stumble through ('stumbling' for is still quite thorough: I never drive a road I don't have a reasonable expectation about and know my fuel stops). Regrettably my more detailed route planning from Salt Lake City was lost in unplanned repairs... I'd love help in getting this trip to be as safe and worthwhile as possible :).

7. Default

Right now (literally) we are debating salt lake via US 93S/80E or direct via 84. Former/longer route looks more scenic... We are wondering if worth the extra hour.

Default Choices.

Lots of options between SLC and GC, it depends on what time you have between the two and what appeals. If you headed down I15 you could visit Bryce canyon and/or Zion NP and through Page AZ. Alternatively you could head to 191 and head south to Moab [Arches and Canyonlands NP's and then continue to 163 through Monument Valley to the South rim.

If you headed south on 93 from Twin Falls to I80 you could stop off at Bonneville Salt Flats, perhaps grab a bite in the Salt Flats cafe on Leppy Pass road.

Shoshone Falls is not far from where you are either.

9. Default

Thanks SWD :). I really wanted to see salt flats, we will head down that way from twin falls (unexpectedly impressive canyon in twin falls) to Salt Lake City, then through Moab to monument valley and Grand Canyon.

If anyone has an opinion on the merits of each road's scenery (speeding through really) it would be interesting to hear. I've chosen the longer way around as the western routes appear slightly windy, might be less fuel economical...

Yes the snake river canyon is lovely, one part is where Evil Knievel tried to jump the river which didn't end well. Did you see Perrine bridge, an impressive structure which is popular with base jumpers.