Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Default Road Trip - West Coast

    Hi there,

    I’m hoping I’ve come to the right place. I’m after some advice/suggestions for our up and coming holiday in August.

    My partner and I are getting married (we live in England) and our honeymoon will consist of a little West Coast tour. So far we’ve only booked the flights but I’m now starting to look at where to stay and activities to pre-book. I suppose the first thing I want advice on is the schedule. From San Francisco – Los Angeles we would like to drive the Highway One while seeing some of the wonderful sights but would really like some advice on how many days to spend in each place.

    I’ll list our schedule so far…

    11 August 2015 Travelling to San Fran
    12 August 2015 San Fran
    13 August 2015 San Fran

    14 August 2015 Napa Valley

    15 August 2015 National Park (Yosemite)?

    16 August 2015 Highway 1
    17 August 2015 Highway 1
    18 August 2015 Highway 1


    19 August 2015 Travel to Los Angeles
    20 August 2015 Los Angeles
    21 August 2015 Los Angeles

    22 August 2015 Travel to Hawaii
    23 August 2015 Hawaii ( stay in the Four Seasons)
    24 August 2015 Hawaii
    25 August 2015 Hawaii
    26 August 2015 Hawaii

    27 August 2015 Travel to Las Vegas
    28 August 2015 Las Vegas (looking to stay in Oriental Mandarin)
    29 August 2015 Las Vegas
    30 August 2015 Las Vegas
    31 August 2015 Travelling home

    I should also mention that we’ll have a car from when we leave San Francisco until we arrive in Los Angeles.

    Ideally, we would love to stay at some nice guest houses on the coast and stick to hotels within the cities.


    Thank you for your help and suggestions.

    Regards

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Just a small tweak.

    Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

    That looks like a nice and relaxed trip you have planned there. There is only one suggestion I would make.

    15th August Yosemite. That NP definitely deserves more than just a day trip from SF. Given that you have 7 days alloted to the trip from SF to LA, I suggest you spend at least one night (pref two) in Yosemite. If your budget allows, I highly recommend you stay within the park for which you would need to book very soon. Places are limited and the demand is high.

    This would look something like this:
    15th August drive to Yosemite
    16th August explore Yosemite
    17th August drive to Carmel/Monterey area
    18th August drive CA1 to Cambria/San Simeon area
    19th August drive to LA

    That gives you two days to drive the Pacific Coast Highway,to enjoy that magnificent road.

    You could also consider taking a day to drive to and through Death Valley from LV.
    Be aware when you see tours in LV to the Grand Canyon, that most do not go to the national park. The flights go over the west rim, which is nowhere near as spectacular as the national park. The National Park is too far from LV to do as a day trip by road.

    Lifey

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,546

    Default

    You will want to hang onto the car until you actually leave Los Angeles. While there is public transportation in LA, it often takes 2-3 transfers to go 5 miles.



    Donna

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Two amazing National parks.

    I have to agree that a couple of days in Yosemite is a couple of days well spent and it's part of your honeymoon you will never forget, it is amazing !! If need be I would sacrifice Napa Valley to spend time there. Another one to consider is the Grand canyon south rim and what I would consider doing is driving direct from LA and spend the night there and most of the following day before making your way to Vegas.
    ( Or perhaps you are going from Hawaii direct to Vegas as was pointed out to me)

    Hotpe you have a great time and congratulations !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-04-2015 at 04:59 PM.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

    That looks like a nice and relaxed trip you have planned there. There is only one suggestion I would make.

    15th August Yosemite. That NP definitely deserves more than just a day trip from SF. Given that you have 7 days alloted to the trip from SF to LA, I suggest you spend at least one night (pref two) in Yosemite. If your budget allows, I highly recommend you stay within the park for which you would need to book very soon. Places are limited and the demand is high.

    This would look something like this:
    15th August drive to Yosemite
    16th August explore Yosemite
    17th August drive to Carmel/Monterey area
    18th August drive CA1 to Cambria/San Simeon area
    19th August drive to LA

    That gives you two days to drive the Pacific Coast Highway,to enjoy that magnificent road.

    You could also consider taking a day to drive to and through Death Valley from LV.
    Be aware when you see tours in LV to the Grand Canyon, that most do not go to the national park. The flights go over the west rim, which is nowhere near as spectacular as the national park. The National Park is too far from LV to do as a day trip by road.

    Lifey
    Thank you for your above commenets. I fully agree with the Yosemite comments and if the budget will allow us to, I'd love to spend a second night there.

    Any suggestions for hotels in NAPA?

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    You will want to hang onto the car until you actually leave Los Angeles. While there is public transportation in LA, it often takes 2-3 transfers to go 5 miles.



    Donna
    Good shout - I suppoe we can then drop of the car at the airport on the way to Hawaii. We might visit Hollywood Studios too so a car would help.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I have to agree that a couple of days in Yosemite is a couple of days well spent and it's part of your honeymoon you will never forget, it is amazing !! If need be I would sacrifice Napa Valley to spend time there. Another one to consider is the Grand canyon south rim and what I would consider doing is driving direct from LA and spend the night there and most of the following day before making your way to Vegas.
    ( Or perhaps you are going from Hawaii direct to Vegas as was pointed out to me)

    Hotpe you have a great time and congratulations !
    Yep, flying from LA to Hawaii and then a direct flight to Vegas. So much to see in so little time :).

  8. Default

    Thank you for the above comments.

    A few more questions if anyone could help.

    Anyone suggest a good car hire company for use between San Fran and LA? ..ideally Convertible.

    Also, any hotel suggestions for NAPA/Carmel/Santa Barbara? Currently looking on Tripadviser but so many to choose from.

    Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    For car rental, I've never found a big difference between any of the major companies. I'd compare all of them, and see who can give you the best price. Just make sure that the estimates include all the various taxes and fees, especially because you are looking at a one-way rental, which can add hundreds of dollars in fees to the final cost. RTA has a car rental search tool on the right side of this page. Also look at the various European/UK based consolidators who can sometimes offer better prices than going directly through the rental companies.

Similar Threads

  1. Road Trip East coast to West coast Sept 2013 in a hire car
    By janelouisestockdale in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM
  5. Road trip route - 3 months from East Coast to West Coast
    By tasha in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES