Default Florida to California

Any tips or cautions on traveling from Florida to California on route 10, middle of February!
    All help greatly appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default What Did You Have in Mind?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

What kind of help were you looking for? It's way too early yet to tell you anything about what kind of weather you might encounter. Were there any particular sorts of attractions that might interest you? What's your own personal travel style? How many days do you have for your journey? One way or round trip? If you've read through some of the advice that others have gotten here, you might have noticed that we try to give suggestions that are specifically useful to the individual. We don't think there are generic 'best' things to see and do. The more you can tell us about your travel plans and style, the more we can help you. Right now, pretty much all we can tell you is that yes, I-10 will get you from Florida to southern California.

Thanks for the heads up. We are making a round trip visit to Monterey, Ca My biggest concern is safety and availability of gasoline. We have traveled to Arizona before but not on route 10. Is there anything or areas on route 10 to avoid? Does it ever "snow" on route 10?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Fuel and snow along I-10.

It is extremely difficult to drive anywhere in the United States without being able to get fuel every hundred miles or so, especially along the interstate highways. That goes for I-10, as much as it does for all the others. When fuel will not be available there will always be a roadside notice to let you know.

Snow is definitely possible along I-10, as it is along all other interstate routes. Check out the end of this thread to see what snow has already fallen that far south this season. Here is the direct link to the snow report for that section of I-10 that fell on January 21, 2015!

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-01-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added another linke

Green County, Wisconsin

Default It's all up to you

Beyond the weather, which is not under your control, but yes, you certainly could see snow or ice, every concern you have about safety is completely up to you.

There should be no problems at all finding gas - thousands of people drive these roads every day, after all. There will be some longer stretches without gas, but even those will only be 50-100 miles. As long as you are watching your gas gauge, and paying attention to your maps so you can see where these sections are, you won't have any problems.

With safety, again, that's completely up to you. The interstates themselves are one of the safest transportation systems in the world, the only problems come up is when the drivers decide to make foolish and dangerous decision. On a long distance trip like this, one of the biggest dangers is fatigued driving, and people thinking they can drive much farther than is safe in a day. Professional drivers are limited by law to driving about 600 miles a day, which works out to 10-12 hours on the road, in real world conditions. If you're planning to drive more than that, then you certainly should be concerned about safety, because you would be the danger on the road. You didn't say where in "Florida" you're starting from, but unless you're planning to start from the western panhandle, you're going to need to plan for a bare minimum of 5 days, each way, for this trip.

Southern California

The longest stretch without fuel, that I can think of, is about 40-50 miles long, in western Texas. This is what we do (and it works for us): when we are coming to a larger city, we look down at our fuel tank. If it is 1/2 tank, we start using our GasBuddy app to find something reasonable along the road. The problem with fueling up in the middle of nowhere is that prices are a little higher than they are in the city, or right on the outskirts of the cities. Between Ozona and Fort Stockton, TX, there are two stations, both at the same exit (294), and it's about 100 miles between those two places. I'd make sure my tank was full when I leave Ozona, heading west.