Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default toronto -niagara - boston -Washington - toronto round trip

hi

1st post

family of four, kids are 18 tho, from the UK - we are flying into and out of Toronto this summer

we want to see places above - i.e... niagara boston and washington.. oh and toronto itself..

would like some ideas on places to see in-between ,maybe other places i.e. cities towns scenic areas attractions maybe a amusement park ?..

we have been to new York before so can miss.

but would like to catch as much of other areas as possible - and still have time in cities listed.

we are here for 16 nights - and will have a car from toronto (which can be taken in to usa - i have already checked)

I'm thinking what about cape cod / new england areas around boston - finger lakes - Philadelphia - lancaster county - gettysburg

but open to suggestions of how long to stay - where not to miss on the trip. whether to go from toronto towards DC or to boston 1st and all in-between

hope you can help.. been looking through the site looks very helpful.. so thank you in advance

Default Combine Some Favorites

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New England, New York state, and the Niagara to Washington drive are a few recurring topics here, so you should have a look at some of those previous discussions to give you a good idea of what's available to you. How long you spend at any attraction or in any area is entirely up to you, but you certainly have time to do such a trip justice.

AZBuck

Default A car in the cities.

Thinking about Boston and DC, if you are planning to stay downtown be sure to that the hotel has free parking. You are not going to want to drive around those cities. Both have very good public transport to get around.

Staying just outside of downtown, get a hotel by a major transport line.

Lifey

Default Hershey, Gettysburg, Philadelphia

we want to see places above - i.e... niagara boston and washington.. oh and toronto itself..would like some ideas on places to see in-between ,maybe other places i.e. cities towns scenic areas attractions maybe a amusement park ?..
    One amusement park in that general region, that comes immediately to mind, is Hershey Park. I've never been, so I can't recommend it myself, but it came recommended from a friend. Evidently a lot of coasters and, of course, chocolate.

I'm thinking what about cape cod / new england areas around boston - finger lakes - Philadelphia - lancaster county - gettysburg
    Of those, I can definitely recommend two: Philadelphia and Gettysburg. Both are wonderful if you love history! We spent about 8 hours in the Independence Square area of Philadelphia, and saw most of the historic points there -- Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin's gravesite, many of the buildings there, of course the visitor center, and the City Pub. We also walked about 7 blocks down the road to Macy's, because they had the Wanamaker Organ concert there. It's a huge organ, right in the midst of a department store!

Gettysburg -- went there this past summer, spent 2 days, wish we'd allowed 3 or 4. So much history there. We could have spent a full day in the visitor center itself. If you are a Civil War history buff, keep that in mind.

Donna

thanks so far...
    hershey park looks good.

and i was thinking of staying in a free parking motel/hotel in both boston and Dc - so that looks best idea - on bus/rail link . thanks

wondering at whats in between the cities tho - i will look at those other threads - just hoping someone can give me some more help.

i do find travelling in the states so much easier than over here, traffic and road size is far better - and its so much cheaper too!!!!
    thanks for help so far

so .. my idea so far.. we land on 2nd July. so 2 nights in Toronto. 1 night niagara. 1 night on route to dc area. 1 night gettsyburg area. 2 nights dc. 1 night hershey/Lancaster area. 1 night Philly. 1 night Delaware gap area. 1 night Connecticut area.1 night cape cod. 2 nights Boston. 1 night Berkshire/mohawk trail area. 1 night finger lakes area.and back to Toronto on 18th July??

so any good...improvements.. not sure about the day/night between niagara and gettsyburg. and the delaware gap day.. still looking for suggestions and help..

please I'm from the UK - could do with all help possible ;)

thanks

Default Making the Most of Your Loop

You've got a nice little compact loop through the northeastern US and Ontario in Canada. As with many such tight loops, you'll have to be a bit careful to not retrace your steps, so let me concentrate on just a few such spots on your current itinerary. Probably the first thing to do is to visit the western Finger Lakes on your way from Niagara to Washington. In particular, Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen State Park are great places to see what the Finger Lakes are all about, and you can visit both on your way to Williamsport PA which would make a good stopover on your way to Gettysburg.

After Gettysburg continue on US-15 down to at least Frederick and I-270, but also consider visiting a couple of other major Civil War Sites, Harpers Ferry and/or Antietem. Then, starting back north out of DC, take I-95 up to Baltimore and I-83 north from there to York where US-30 would take you to Lancaster, Pennsylvania Dutch country, and Hershey. The Philadelphia to Delaware Water Gap section is fairly straightforward, the fast way being to use the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-476), I-78, and PA-33. But if you are leaving from North Philly and want a bit more relaxed drive (once you clear the city) try PA-611 which starts out as Broad Street and eventually brings you to the southern entrance to the NRA just east of Stroudsburg.

I like your apparent plan to swing wide around New York City by going through the Delaware Water Gap, pick up I-84 and cross the Hudson at Newburgh. What I'd suggest is that you continue on I-84 to just southwest of Hartford and then use I-691/CT-66 to cut over to CT-9 down to the coast where US-1 would take you through Old Lyme, Groton, and Mystic where the highlights would be the Submarine Force Library & Museum and Mystic Seaport. That would put you in shape to continue on through Newport RI to the Cape.

Finally after seeing the Berkshires, and since you would have now already tasted the Finger Lakes, you could head from Albany up to Watertown NY, cross the St. Lawrence and visit the Thousand Islands region before returning to Toronto by way of the northern shore of Lake Ontario.

AZBuck

thanks for that info..i will look at all of that tomorrow. seems like some great suggestions. thanks azbuck.