1. Default Denver to Chicago tour

Hi all
    My husband and I would like to do Denver to Chicago, taking in Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Custer State Park and some indian battle sites if possible. We would stay 2 nights in each city (Denver and Chicago), and don't like to drive more than 200 miles approx in one day. In your opinions what would be a good route, how would you place your nightly stops, how long should we be away? I am going around and around here trying to get my head around it!

Default Time.

How many days do you have for this trip? At a mere 200 miles a day, this will be five days.

Lifey

More like 7 days following that route. 1400 miles.

With only 200 miles a day traveling, it's definitely one week, for a one-way trip.

Head up the 25 out of Denver, then turn east on US-20 towards Lusk. Then north on US-18 which can take you into the Black Hills of South Dakota from the south. In that area, there's not only Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park, but there is also Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, and Crazy Horse Memorial. We spent two full days in this area, just this past summer, spending most of our time in Mt Rushmore and Custer SP, but a morning at Wind Cave, too. Badlands is about an hour or so away, the northern unit is the one where most people drive through -- a few hours there. Wall Drug, just before you go through the Badlands, is a kick. You can take the 90 all the way to the 94 into Chicago, or if time permits, there are a number of interesting places to divert along the way.

Donna

5. Default

Hi all
    Thanks for such quick replies! We can be flexible on days really, we both work in schools (not big money like teachers, we're support staff!) so want to leave between 18-20th August and be back in the UK by 1st September. So we should have enough time. Can't decide on the driving, we could do more miles some days. I will do some more research on places we want to see as well. Your replies have been very helpful, thank you. Donna - is the US-20 towards Lusk the more scenic route?

Another option if you want to stay off the Interstates is north of Cheyenne, take US-85 through Torrington to Lusk. Either way you go, there's not much out there.

Default Depends on the definition of 'much'.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Either way you go, there's not much out there.
    It is a lovely drive up 85 through Lusk. very little traffic on the road - at least when I was there - a simple two lane road winding its way through undulating farming country. No striking physical features, but if you do a little reading, with a history to think about as you traverse the land.

Lifey