Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice for first trip?

Some buddies and I fixed up a bus. We plan to use it for road trips, our first one planned for June this year. Just over 3,000 miles and just under 20 people. As first time trippers, we're looking for some advice to help make it go along more smooth. We don't want to rent hotels/motels, that cost can rise quickly, and we feel it would take out of the trip experience. We want to use campgrounds. We just need a place to park, and possibly a spot to set up a tent or two, along with some showers. What's the best way to find places like this? Is it better to have them picked out before hand? Any info on that would be great. Along the trip, we plan on crossing the border into Canada. What do we need to know? We will get passport cards soon. Any info would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

When you're talking about 20 people on a trip, you've got some major complications. You're practically running a tourist group, and when it comes to finding a place for the night, you're going to need a lot more than a place to park and "set up a tent or two." An average campsite simply can't fit that many people (and most campgrounds have limits on the number of people per site).

I really think you're going to have to plan out each and every one of your stops in advance, with reservations. A lot of state parks and other public areas have group campgrounds, which would probably be ideal for you, but again, they aren't things you typically can just pull up and use.

Well the bus itself can sleep about 10. So then one or two tents depending on how many people get a final OK to go. 20 is just the most people we can fit on the bus.

Default Going to need some planning.

My initial thoughts when reading your post were the same as Michael's, you really need to sort things in advance and look for campgrounds with Group sites. A bus that can accommodate 20 people and their luggage is also of a size where there will be a limited number of sites that can accommodate it and some Forestry sites and the like may not be easily accessible if located along smaller roads.

Okay, is there a place or website that could help me find campsites that would suit my needs?

Default Public Lands Campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by canby87 View Post
    Okay, is there a place or website that could help me find campsites that would suit my needs?
    Public lands campgrounds would suit you perfectly, though I would not count on showers. Last year of all the public lands campgrounds I stayed at, the group camping areas were always vacant.

I suggest you contact the offices which covers the area where you plan to spend a night. This could end up speaking with a lot of folk, but websites rarely give the information when all they have is tick boxes. When speaking with each office you can explain what you are looking for, and if they cannot provide it, will often refer you to an alternative.

Unfortunately I never found a head office which covers the country.... or even a State.

Lifey

As mentioned, even if you can sleep 10 on the bus (which sounds very uncomfortable, and a recipe for some very unhappy and cranky people), most campsites have a limit on the number of people who can stay on a site (6 is typical) so even if you really do only need space for 1 or 2 tents, you can't just expect to pull up to a campground and expect them to have a space for you.

As far as finding actual campsites, there is no single national database, especially for the kind of thing you are looking at. You've got a lot of different government agencies that run campgrounds, from federal site run by the National Parks Service, National Forest Service, the BLM, to each state park system, to counties and other local governments. The closest thing to a national system is recreation.gov, but that's far from complete, and it will probably not work well if you need group sites, like you will. You're really just going to have to plan out where you want to stop each night, and then search that area to see what camping options will be available.

Default Some who could accomodate you, won't.

Another thing to consider is at some point when you might be stuck for alternatives and you are perhaps thinking a private campground / RV park would accommodate you as a last resort, it's quite possible they won't, based on the number of people and type of vehicle you have. Some parks turn away families in an RV based on age and condition of vehicle. Yes snobbery maybe, but it is how it is. It's not to say you can't have a great trip but hitting the road and hoping could leave you with aggravation on a regular scale.

Well thanks to everybody for the advice, I've got lots of research to do then.

10. Default

I for one would not want to camp next to a group of 20 young kids that cause a commotion drinking and talking late into the night. Hopefully that doesn't describe your group but that's the reaction you can expect at some places.

It might help if you give us a general idea of where you plan to be and when. Some of us might have specific boondocking ideas.

For example:
    There are places to dry camp in the desert just outside of Utahs Goblin Valley State Park. That is a fun place to hike and is where part of Galaxy Quest was filmed.