Default Looking For advice - Mid West round trip in late Summer

Hi everyone,
    We are planning a road trip in the mid west in late summer.
    So far we have the following information / places to go.
    Start by flying in to Houston, maybe spend the night there. Then drive on to San Antonio for a couple of nights. Next we want to head in to Colorado to stay at the The Stanley Hotel for two nights, then up to Mount Rushmore for at least one night.
    Then two weeks after arriving, fly out of DFW.

I'm looking to drive for about 4 hours to get to somewhere at lunchtime(ish) then spend the night and drive on to somewhere else.
    the next day, unless there is something to hang around for.

Any tips on a route along with suggestions for places to stop off would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

I'd consider making it a loop trip - flying in and out of Houston or DFW. This will save you the one way drop charge for the car and possibly get you better airfares flying in and out of the same city.

Thanks for the tip glc, the flights are booked and the drop off is only going to cost me £30 (prepaid for the hire)
    I'm using flyer miles for the trip so availability is limited on returns, there are no returns available from Houston until the Tuesday following my return and if I fly to DFW I cant get a flight using my miles until the Wednesday after I start my holiday.

There is just so much to see on the way round, and that is where I am struggling

I personally would stay in San Antonio only for a single day. You can see the entirety of the Alamo in about an hour. The River Walk is fun, but that's only another hour or so, maybe longer if you stay for lunch at one of the cafes/restaurants and get a boat ride. You can visit some of the missions, but none of them are very big. It'll take longer to get to them then to explore them.