1. Default Northern VA to New Orleans area in the Fall of 2015

Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for thing to go see/do in the New Orleans area. I will be driving from NOVA to NO and meeting up with a friend who will be flying in from Omaha and we will probably spend about a week in the NO area. We are also thinking of branching to other areas of LA and maybe TX but am not sure of what there is. When I look at tourism sites there is so much listed but nothing to really help determine what would be worth going to see and what would be a complete waste of time. We both love history (historical sites), nature, animals and outdoors stuff (hiking and camping). I am really into photography as well so places that are good for photos would be great as well. Any ideas anyone could provide would be great, thanks in advance!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

My husband and I had plans to visit New Orleans, though that trip (unfortunately) never happened. I also have a good friend who lived there, and she offered the following as "should see, if interested":

Interested in Music? (My husband and I are, definitely.) New Orleans Jazz Historical Park. Of course the whole French Quarter, particularly Bourbon Street.

Steamboat Natchez, if you'd like to take a brief tour on "THE" River.

The French Market.

A church worth photographing: Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France.

The Audubon Zoo.

Take a drive up the Natchez Parkway.

Just for the record, though -- what might be a waste of time for you, may be of complete fascination to me. And vice versa.

3. Default

Thanks, any suggestions are great. They'll help us narrow stuff down at least and there may be some suggestions that I wouldn't find just searching around the internet.