Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NYC to Yosemite National Park and Back

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this and this is my first post. We are planning a trip for my daughter's college graduation. It will be the end of May/beginning of June. Our plan is to go from NYC to Yosemite and back. We have 16 days and I just wanted to make sure that would be enough time based on experience from you expert travelers. We are going to rent an RV and my husband loves to drive.

We are in the very early stages of planning so if anyone has any suggestions or must-see places, we would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Maryann

Default Lots of time behind the wheel.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well its possible, but you will have around 11 days of driving in an RV to get out there and back and that's without a lot of free time for any sight seeing. So you could add time to the travelling and slow up to check out other spots, but that won't leave you a lot of time in Yosemite. Other than the slower going of an RV you have to consider the high fuel consumption [8-10mpg] plus campground fees etc which is going to make it costlier than a car and Motels. If you really want to use an RV, have you considered flying out west and renting one there so that you get to see more sights and have less driving ?

3. Default

For a trip like this, i would instead rent a minivan or mid size suv for better gas mileage, and you will make better time as well. What do you think Southwest Dave?

Default A comfortable sedan.

Maybe a comfortable sedan with plenty of luggage space. Better fuel consumption, easier to drive, quicker time and taking everything into consideration, cheaper.

Lifey

Of course if the OP owns their own vehicle that would be a much cheaper option than an RV by a long way, otherwise a mid size sedan is the best all round rental for 2 or 3 people. An RV can be a great Lifestyle choice but I'm not sure it's best suited to such a long drive in a relatively short period of time.

6. Default

Southwest Dave, I enjoyed reading of your trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, Capital Reef, North Rim of the Grand Canyon...WOW! Excellent photos too! Got me thinking back to my trips to those places.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-25-2015 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added link.

Default A lot of fun !

Thanks Traveler, we sure had a blast and can't wait to get on the road again !

Dave.

Add me into the "rent a car and stay in hotels" camp. RVing is fun (I'm on my second one.) But between the gas mileage, the slower speeds, the cost of RV spaces, the work of getting it level and hooked up at night, it's just not worth it money wise. Plus a lot of places I like to see aren't RV accessible.

I might rent an RV specifically for one of the large parks though.

Default Each trip is unique.

To be honest Erich, we love to RV and its our preferred choice of transport, especially in the National parks. I was basing my thoughts on this one trip where there a lot of miles to travel for a relatively short time to enjoy the camping aspect of it. Each trip is unique and sometimes the preferred choice isn't always the best one. I also find that if its somewhere a car rental is permitted to go, I can take an RV there in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    To be honest Erich, we love to RV and its our preferred choice of transport, especially in the National parks. I was basing my thoughts on this one trip where there a lot of miles to travel for a relatively short time to enjoy the camping aspect of it.
    That was exactly my train of thought also. The distance they're traveling and the short amount of time makes a car the better choice.