1. Default Cleveland to Cape Cod - I-90 or I-80? Which is fastest/better Route?

I am heading to cape cod for the first time this summer and I was wondering what is the better route. I google mapped them and they are pretty similar in time and they both enter into Cape Cod buy the Borne bridge (I hear it is better than the Sagamore Bridge for traffic) but I have to admit I am confused and intimidated by the directions for the I-80 Route (see below). It seems like a lot of road changes and I am not familiar with any of them. what is the better rout for traffic and tolls? Please help.

Take exit 43 for I-287 toward Morristown/Mahwah
    0.2 mi

Keep left at the fork and merge onto I-287 N
    Entering New York
    25.9 mi

Take the I-87 S/I-287/New York Thruway exit toward Tappan Zee Br/New York City
    0.5 mi

Merge onto I-287 E/I-87 S
    Partial toll road
    18.2 mi

Keep left at the fork to continue on I-287 E, follow signs for White Plains/Rye
    11.6 mi

Merge onto I-95 N
    Entering Connecticut
    88.7 mi

Keep right at the fork to stay on I-95 N, follow signs for New London/Providence
    Entering Rhode Island
    50.8 mi

Keep right at the fork to stay on I-95 N
    8.3 mi

Take exit 19 to merge onto I-195 E/US-6 E toward E Providence/Cape Cod
    Continue to follow I-195 E
    Entering Massachusetts

Welcome to RTA!

I-90 to I-495 is the fastest route, but I wouldn't take it due to a TON of tolls.

Here is how I would go if it were me:

Take I-80 to I-81. Take I-81 to Scranton, then I-84 to the Mass Pike (I-90). Take that to I-495. This only adds 30 miles, has a LOT less tolls, and avoids the NYC traffic.

3. Default

Awesome! Thank you SO SO SO MUCH!!!

Default A tiny tweak.

I google mapped them ...
    Be sure to go to a place like AAA or similar and pick up good paper maps, so that you know which route to choose should you be rerouted for some reason. Not only that, but it will give you the overall picture not possible within the scope of a little screen.

As a bonus, the route described above is quite scenic. I drive most of it regularly. Only change I make to avoid the congestion near Wilkes Barre, is to take I-80 to I-380 to I-84. It is only a few miles more but a lot less congestion (and construction if that has not yet finished).

Lifey

to take I-80 to I-380 to I-84. It is only a few miles more
    It's about 15 miles more - I'd stay on I-80 to US-209 at Stroudsburg and take that to I-84. I just did some research - the construction on I-81 is still there and will be ongoing for another few YEARS. US-209 is not Interstate quality but there's not a lot of traffic and it's very scenic. My software also says that it's no slower than doubling back on I-380 and is actually a bit shorter than taking I-81.

Default Another alternative.

Yes, I have taken 209 as well, but it is slow going through the Delaware Water Gap and several small settlements, as it winds its way along the river.

A better and much shorter off interstate route is 402. It passes through the Delaware State Forest, does not have any lights and hardly a cross road.

It is at a slower speed, but one is actually able to maintain that speed, as there is not one settlement along the way. A very scenic route, a wonderful drive..

Having driven both 209 and 402 several times, I can recommend them. But I thought interstates were the routes of choice here.

Lifey

7. Default

The Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is under major construction. It took me a half hour to drive 2 miles eastbound across the bridge. Also, 84 can get congested between Danbury and Hartford. How about 90 east just beyond Erie, then I-86/Rt 17 east through New Yorks Southern Tier to Binghampton, then take I-88 to Albany, then 90 east to 495 south, which becomes Rt 25 in Middleboro,MA to the Bourne Bridge. There are tolls on 90 in MA, but you would have bypassed the most expensive tolls on 90 between Pa-Ny border to Albany. 86-88 is a very scenic route and for the most part keeps you away from high traffic areas.

I'd accept the delays on the Newburg-Beacon bridge, just avoid it at rush hour. I-86/NY-17/I-88 won't save you any time and it's considerably longer.

A way around the Hartford traffic is take I-691 just east of Waterbury to I-91, then connect back to I-84 using the CT-15/US-5 Charter Oak Bridge.

402 is also a doubleback, makes it longer. Of course Interstates are preferred, but when you can save some time and aggravation by getting onto other roads for a short stretch, why not?