1. Default summer trip with fam Iy

I am planning a summer road trip with my husband and 3 year old daughter. We will be leaving from the Detroit area and hope to visit all of the major sights in the West.some of the things we definitely hope to see are the redwood forest, Sequoia National Park, San Francisco, Grand Canyon, and Mount Rushmore as well as Yellowstone. If we have approximately 4 weeks is that enough time for all of these sites? Also we were thinking of pulling a small camper, or would tent camping be better?

Default A great trip in the making.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

Four weeks is certainly a nice amount of time for a trip out west but to see everything would take a lifetime. ;- )

Creating a nice loop trip will open up lots of opportunities by taking a different route each way. Perhaps out to Badlands, Rushmore and a pick of the many options in the area before Yellowstone. You could then head towards the west coast and down to SF. You could continue on the scenic coast road around Big Sur before heading inland to Sequoia and then Yosemite before heading across the mountains on the spectacular Tioga Pass and through Death valley. From the Grand canyon you have many NPs in Southern Utah you could explore before heading into the Colorado Rockies.

As for camping, it,s whatever you feel comfortable with but you will need to book campsites in the NPs at the earliest possible time. Have a look around the site for ideas and when you have questions just ask.

Do you already have "a small camper"? If you have one and a decent tow vehicle, why not? If you're thinking about buying one, just for this trip, that would be a decision to think about. Car towing a trailer does use a bit more fuel than one only loaded with tent camping equipment.

Donna

Today's reality - if you want to tow anything bigger than a single axle popup trailer, you will need a full size pickup truck (1/2 ton, e.g. F-150) or large SUV (e.g. Expedition). You also will NOT be able to rent a vehicle to tow anything with unless you rent a big truck from a specialty rental outfit (very expensive).

5. Default

A three year old isn't going to appreciate the scenery and will not even remember the trip later in life. Been there, done that. So, live for the moment and focus on activities that she will enjoy. There are great family campgrounds with lots of activities for children, plan your trip around them. Yogi Bear come to mind, especially the one in Wisconsin Dells. At this age it's not where you go but what you do when you get there.

The National Parks have the the junior ranger program, but it is aimed at ages 5-12.

I remember spending a small fortune on my children at Disney World. When we returned two years later I suggested that we skip some of the attractions we did before and focus on some others. To my astonishment they said they had never been here before!

Default Big Trees and more.

There are other places to see big trees. If you are heading south through northern California, you could consider Humboldt Redwoods State Park and the Avenue of Giants as well as the drive through tree. There is also a grove of giant sequoias in Yosemite NP. No need to go all the way down to Sequoia NP, just to see the big trees, and then having to back track.

From San Francisco you could take the Pacific Coast Highway to around Canbria area, then head inland to Yosemite, and on through Death Valley (a spectacular landscape). However, I would not camp, and probably not even get out of the car with a three year old, in Death Valley, unless your camper trailer has an adequate air conditioner. Stay in your air conditioned car. Have plenty of fluid with you, especially for the little one, and enjoy all the magnificent views through the windscreen. Death Valley is unbearably hot in summer - hence its name.

As for having the little one remember at least some of the trip, have her (and you) keep a journal. Ger her to gather the things she enjoyed most that day, on a page in a book. Draw a swing or seesaw, if that was where you stopped, or get her to draw it. You can just put a few words with it, and possibly a picture from a brochure, or add a photo when you get a change to print them out. At three that should not be beyond her ability. You will be amazed how she will remember each day what she did on previous days, just by looking through her journal. And if you and her 'read' through it together, the memory will linger for a long time. Also great to look back on in later years.

Lifey

I would recommend to the the big sur between SF and LA then to Vegas to get to grand canyon!

Take a Sleep at Carmel, it's really nice out there.

Default Aye???

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelitto View Post
    I would recommend to the the big sur between SF and LA then to Vegas to get to grand canyon!
    Why would you skip Yosemite? and Death Valley? on the way to LV? Some of the greatest wonders of the natural world. If I were to recommending skipping anything with a three year old, it would be LV..... but I won't. The OP might be interested in the place.

And yes, Carmel, Monterey and Cambria are all great places to stop along that coast.

Lifey