1. Default August London Ontario to San Francisco

Starting to plan a 3 week trip from London Ontario to San Fracisco. Planning on spending 2-3 days to get to Denver and then slowing down the pace. We are travelling with our 5 and 9 year old children. We will be camping on the days we are not driving more than 8 hours. Thinking about 2 days in San Francisco. Would like to spend time in Yosemite and perhaps Yellowstone. Right now we are thinking of driving a little south of San Francisco to Big Sur and then north to the Redwoods. Looking for suggestions for routes and must sees.

Welcome to RTA!

It's a minimum of 2.5 days to get from London to Denver, so why not take 3 full days and break up the 2nd day with a quick visit to St. Louis and go up the Gateway Arch? Cross the border at Sarnia, take I-69 to Indy then I-70 to STL and on to Denver. This will also keep you away from the Chicago traffic. It only adds about 130 miles to the shortest route (I-69/I-94/I-80/I-76).

Look at Effingham for the first night and Kansas City for the second night. This would put you in STL midmorning and you would have about 4 hours at the Arch. There's also a museum there.

Recommend you stay west of KC so you won't be fighting morning rush hour getting out. Western suburbs, Lawrence, or Topeka would work.

Default The loop trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel8 View Post
    Would like to spend time in Yosemite and perhaps Yellowstone. Right now we are thinking of driving a little south of San Francisco to Big Sur and then north to the Redwoods. Looking for suggestions for routes and must sees.
    If this is an round trip you it would be wise to take a different route each way. So you could make your way to Yellowstone and continue to the coast and Redwoods before heading south to SF and Big Sur and then turning inland, perhaps Yosemite and make your way back through Utah and Colorado.

4. Default

We have some dates booked. Plan to leave London Ontario August 1. We have booked a campsite (tent) in Canyon in Yellowstone for August 4-8. Plan to be in San Francisco August 9 & 10. We have a campsite booked in Yosemite, lower pines for August 14 for 3 nights. We then plan to start the drive home. We need to home on the 23rd. Any suggestions regarding routes? We hope to spend some time at a beach south of San Francisco before we head to Yosemite.