8 Mammoth lodge -booked

9,10,11Old gaithfull inn booked
    10 grand teton

11 Drive to Moab 10 hours

12 arches

13 canyonland park

14 Monument valley

15 Page

16Grandcanyon -south rim- I want to see south rim what is bestroute from monument valley MV -GC SR- page-ZION TO LV/MV -page-gcsr-zion to lv

17zion

18zion

19 -20 las vegas RETURN THE CAR AT LV

21FLY to New york

22 23 New York

24 Fly NY to Glasgow

This is prepared for solo traveller, by reading this forum any suggestion or change is welcome ,just trying to save a day thats why flying fron fresno to Bozeman

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Is money an object for this trip? Unless you have an unlimited budget, I think your plan to drive to Fresno, and then fly to Bozeman is going to be problematic. You'll be looking at two different one-way drop fees on the car rental, which are likely going to be especially high because you're dealing with two small airports. Similarly, Fresno to Bozeman is likely going to be a very expensive flight, quite possibly with multiple layovers.

There are a few things I'd think about doing:

If you're going to fly to Bozeman anyway, then I'd start your trip there, rent a car and drive back to SFO. You'd follow your same basic plan to Vegas, then continue through Death Valley, and cross Tioga Pass into Yosemite.

You could also look at starting in Salt Lake City, with more flight and car options, and driving up to Yosemite from there, before heading back south and following your plan again.

If you really want to start in SFO, then I'd drive from Yosemite to Yellowstone. Yes it will take some time, but it will dramatically reduce your car rental costs, and considering you'll spend all day flying from Fresno to Bozeman, it won't really cost you that much time.

The final alternative, if you really want to keep your plan as it, Drive from Yosemite back to SFO instead of Fresno. You'll at least get rid of the one way fee at SFO, and you should have many more flight options out of SFO.

Default What about............

As Michael said, saving a day will most likely cost a small fortune ! Here's another way to consider. The Tioga Pass [Yosemite high country] is a big part of the Yosemite experience and crosses the Sierra's from the Valley to Mono Lake. To see this area the way things are you would have to drive over the pass and then double back on yourself which is time consuming. So after lunch on day 5 you could head up to Tioga Pass [CA120] exploring as you go and instead of returning, carry on out the east entrance to Lee Vining and possibly push on to Fallon NV for the night. On day 6 you could then drive towards Yellowstone and stop the night around Pocatello or as far as Idaho Falls. From Idaho Falls it's only a couple of hours to the west entrance of Yellowstone NP.

16Grandcanyon -south rim- I want to see south rim what is bestroute from monument valley MV -GC SR- page-ZION TO LV/MV -page-gcsr-zion to lv
    The first choice is more efficient. Day 15 GC > Day 16 afternoon to Page >17/18 Zion. You could visit MV and continue to the Cameron Trading post to spend the night, the lodgings are very close to the east entrance to the south rim.

4. Default

Thanks indeed Dave and Michael,

I am trying to cover as much as I can on the basis of tour video.
    My main interest is trekking half dome,angels landing and narrows,sadly phantom ranch is not available so rim to rim is out of question,its difficult to pick and choose in a large country like USA.
    Dave thanks again for helping me decide to choose the route from MV,.
    Michael the price of ticket from Fresno to Bozeman on Air Alaska is only 82 pounds 12.30 pm to 6.30 pm with two changes on kayak.whereas if you travel for two days and with lodging will it make substantial saving.secondly I was wondering if you could guide me if it is possible to take Amtrak or bus to Yosemite and cab back to Fresno as it is commented in many posts that San Francisco's public transport is good and there is a shuttle in Yosemite.
    Last edited by vp1; 01-15-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammer

Default Possibly plus 2 one way car rental surcharges.

It's not just the cost of flights Michael was referring to, you could have 2 one way drop off charges on your car rental. With one longer deal you will probably get a better rate as well. I wouldn't rely on buses and taxi to get to and from Yosemite nor would I want to. I think that's the sort of thing you would have to research using your search engine. There are 2-3 day coach tours from SF, but you will end up back in SF. I still think your best option if you want to start from SF would be to drive to Yellowstone. If SF is not a 'must do' place for you, perhaps you should consider a loop tip that starts and finishes in Las Vegas. About your 2 days of travelling, it really wouldn't add that much time. As said, if you want to see Yosemite high country you will have a lot of back tracking followed by the journey to Fresno, checking in and the flight and then picking up your next rental to drive into Yellowstone. Ultimately it is your choice, we are just putting ideas out there.

On another note, you are in the US for a fixed number of nights so there really won't be any extra lodging costs if you drove to Yellowstone, they would just be in a different place.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    It's not just the cost of flights Michael was referring to, you could have 2 one way drop off charges on your car rental. With one longer deal you will probably get a better rate as well. I wouldn't rely on buses and taxi to get to and from Yosemite nor would I want to. I think that's the sort of thing you would have to research using your search engine. There are 2-3 day coach tours from SF, but you will end up back in SF. I still think your best option if you want to start from SF would be to drive to Yellowstone. If SF is not a 'must do' place for you, perhaps you should consider a loop tip that starts and finishes in Las Vegas. About your 2 days of travelling, it really wouldn't add that much time. As said, if you want to see Yosemite high country you will have a lot of back tracking followed by the journey to Fresno, checking in and the flight and then picking up your next rental to drive into Yellowstone. Ultimately it is your choice, we are just putting ideas out there.

On another note, you are in the US for a fixed number of nights so there really won't be any extra lodging costs if you drove to Yellowstone, they would just be in a different place.
    Dear Dave,
    Thanks for the reply,that was very helpful to know that I need to have car in Yosemite for catching flight, if I plan to go to Fresno.I have never been to USA and I regret if I was not able to put my genuine doubts in the most appropriate ways.I am now quiet inclined to travel by road from Yosemite to Yellowstone and deduct one day in Las Vegas.I checked into an international car company at Bozeman airport before your mail and was quiet delighted that its only 600 dollars,little did I realize that drop off charges at different airport might just double in some cases (after checking on forums)although on web they mention it in very subtle way.

Default ...and you get to see more !

Looking at it another way, you will see more of this amazing country by driving across it then you will from sitting in an airport and flying over it. ;-) If you followed along the lines of what I recommended earlier, you would only be a few hours behind your schedule arriving in Yellowstone.

I would try and get Yosemite lodging tied down asap as it is another popular spot. Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is well located within the park. If you want to do 'the Cables' at Half Dome then you need to look into this as I believe there is a limited number of permits to do so. I would leave SF reasonably early to get into Yosemite and head to Glacier Point [Jaw dropping views ! ] and maybe Mariposa Grove for the giant Sequoia trees. Next day would be Half Dome and parts of the valley. Day 6 would also give you the morning in the Valley and then explore Tioga Pass in the high country before exiting to the east at Mono Lake. As you approach the 395 from 120 there is a fuel station on the right, it has a great little diner inside and just up the hill past the garage there is a nice view of the lake.

Hi - just a quick note. I'm also very new here and am planning my own trip, which has its own issues, but since our start and end points are not a million miles apart I wanted to throw in that I got a quote from Enterprise for a 30-day one-way SUV rental from BIL to LAX of $1900. Not cheap (about £40/day), but there is no one-way charge so it's quite a lot better than I could find elsewhere, and should certainly beat flying pound-for-pound - a smaller car or shorter rental would bring it down also of course. You might have some luck with them.

Default Car rental

If you are coming from Europe, you should also look into the consolidators, such as carhire3000.com. Members often speak of great deals to be had, such as having one way waived.

Lifey

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    If you are coming from Europe, you should also look into the consolidators, such as carhire3000.com. Members often speak of great deals to be had, such as having one way waived.

Lifey
    Thanks for suggesting Enterprise and Carhire3000.com,I will certainly check when the itenary is finalised and air tickets are confirmed.
    Dave,I am glad the help and advised received at last minute before booking the flights on this forum..
    I have decided to use car hire and droped the flight from Fresno to Bozeman.I am not keen to start a round trip from LV although more pragmatic because of time constraints.
    I earnestly hope my ignorance will amuse you in one of the previous messages you have suggested that this trip can be reversed from SF,Yosemite,LV,utah to Yellowstone;in spite of my looking into forums it was not clear which is most scenic rote yosemite to Yellowstone or las vegas,although all lodgings in the park have been booked with original plan(that is not an issue if it needs to be redone ,the only thing to decide is although no two places are comparable,I have last year extensively driven in salar de uyuni and south west Bolivia ,which should be similar to death valley and this reverse itenary will put Yellowstone at the end of September).Thanks in advance.