1. Default Texas Hill Country on motorbikes

Greetings one and all.

Been a while since I've been here and once again I'm after picking the brains of those of you who are 'in the know'.

My mate and I, (and our wives), are visiting Texas in September 2015, and will be hiring a couple of Harleys for 5 or 6 days, in order to travel around the Texas Hill Country. We don't intend to put too many miles under our belts, but would like a few ideas if possible for a possible route for a 5/6 day tour (beginning & ending at San Antonio) with plenty of stops to see the sights, go swimming, eat out, and any other idiotic touristy things that come to hand. I'm currently thinking of a loop that'll take in the majority of the Hill Country area and could also fit in Big Bend Park, or Amistad, but I'm always happy to take on board a little local knowledge.

Any suggestions would as always be very gratefully received.

Benbrook, Texas, United States

Default Good Choice

1st of all great choice for time of year and location. Texas Hill country is some of the most beautiful riding country and anything you want to see can be done on a back road [aka a 2 lane] not a major freeway. You could spend weeks riding the roads. So in 5 or 6 days you need to find the highlights and hit it. Depending on your likes and dislikes. But nix Big Bend - not good riding that way. Check out this site and get a good idea of what you want to do and I can help you map out. Also a great choice on flying into San Antonio.

Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-20-2015 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Approved post/ link format.

South of England.

Default Are you a 'Batman'.

Hi CharlieB, good to see you back and planning another trip. I can't offer you much but it sounds like a lot of fun awaits ! If you find yourself in Austin overnight you might want to check out Congress Ave 'Bat bridge' if they are still around when you travel.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Nice Little Loop

My wife and I visited that area of Texas a few years ago when she needed surgery at St. David's Hospital in Austin. We had a few days to explore before that and here are some of the places we enjoyed, as well as a few others, and some scenic connecting roads. Beginning in San Antonio, the two 'big' attractions are the Alamo and the River Walk, and both are worth seeing, but also check out the other missions and the Guenther House.

Then from San Antonio up to around Fredericksburg, TX-16 provides a scenic little two-lane road through Hill Country and past the Frontier Times Museum and Kerrville-Schreiner State Park. The main draw in Fredericksburg is, of course, the LBJ Ranch but you might also want to check out the National Museum of the Pacific War.

For the run from Fredericksburg to Austin, US-290 is a high-speed, four-lane highway, so for a relaxed ride I'd probably stick to some back roads such as TX-2721/TX-1320/TX-1323 through Sandy and down US-281 for a short stretch to Johnson City for a visit to LBJ's boyhood home, then TX-2766/CR-201 past Pedernales Falls State Park, continuing on Fitzhugh Rd to CR-185 down to finally get on US-290 for the entry into Austin.

Austin has a very vibrant music scene with something for just about everybody as well as the University of Texas, and while your there try to get out to the Salt Lick for some authentic barbeque in a true Texas atmosphere. That would just leave you the final relatively short final leg back down to San Antonio.

Now that's not a lot of riding, but I agree with Traci that Big Bend National Park, and Amistad National Recreation Area for that matter, are just too far to include in a relaxed and enjoyable five-day RoadTrip of this area.

5. Default

Hi all,

Thanks as always for the tips and ideas. We have a while to plan yet so I'll be checking these out and hopefully come up with a rough itinerary that will give us things to aim at, but time to detour if we feel like it. I've heard of the Lone Star motorcycle museum so being bikers, (and being old enough to be potential exhibits!), we''ll have to fit that in.
    As always with the USA, it's so big and so much to see we know we can't fit everything in, but then I suppose we'd just have to return to checkout the bits we miss :)