Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA to Seattle

1. Default LA to Seattle

Hi from Australia. My wife & I are planning to drive from LA to Seattle. We probably have 10-12 days.About 20 years ago we drove LA to San Francisco so we will probably do that stretch fairly quickly.We don't intend to spend any time in those two cities.
    I would be interested to hear your ideas on special sights we should see especially above SF.Also would a detour to Yosemite be biting off too much?
    From Seattle we are doing an Alaska ferry trip. Then we have another 10-12 days to get back to LA.Can't decide between the loop drive out to Banff and coming back inland via Salt Lake City to Vegas then fly to LA. I'll probably start a new thread for this.
    Cheers,
    Phil

Welcome back!

When you drove from LA to SF before, what route did you take? Exactly when are you planning on taking this trip?

Default So much to see, so little time.

Phil , I am not sure if the reciprocal arrangement between automobile clubs was in place 20 years ago. But it certainly is now. So take your membership (RACV, NRMA, etc.) with you as it will give you access to maps and tourist information from the AAA. Be worth picking up maps of all States which you plan to cover - including Alaska - and Canadian provinces, on your arrival in LA.

20 years ago we drove LA to San Francisco so we will probably do that stretch fairly quickly.
    Do you still have any maps from that trip? It will show you many of the attractions, natural, historical, touristy.

Did you travel the Pacific Coast Highway that time.... or was it straight up 101 or I-5? The Pacific Coast Highway is not to be missed, it is every bit as spectacular as the Great Ocean Road in Victoria - if you have ever driven that.

North of SF you have Crater Lake, though access to it will depend when in spring you will be travelling. There is Humboldt Redwood SP and the Avenue of Giants as well as the Oregon coast. Near Portland you could take a side trip up the Columbia River Gorge. In WA you will pass by Mt St Helen and Mt Rainier NP.

For the way back ... have you been to Yellowstone, Glacier and Tetons NPs? You could then head down to NV, through Death Valley, back to LA.

Again depending on when you are travelling, depends on whether Tioga Pass into Yosemite is open. You could make a side trip to Yosemite on either your way north or south.

For me, the Canadian Rockies would be too far if you need to get back to LA for a flight. You would not have time to enjoy this spectacular part of the continent.

If your ferry stops in Skagway, it would be worth looking into the train trip up White Pass. A spectacular area if the weather is clear.

Lifey

Default Best in one thread.

You have some great ideas above to work with. Once you have done a little research and have a few dots on the map we can help fill in the blanks and add suggestions.

Then we have another 10-12 days to get back to LA.Can't decide between the loop drive out to Banff and coming back inland via Salt Lake City to Vegas then fly to LA. I'll probably start a new thread for this.
    As it is essentially part of the same trip, please keep all questions here so that everyone gets the full picture of what has been included on the way there. Thanks.

Yosemite always is worth the detour but you didnot tell what time of year you are coming.
    Just for the record. Pacific Coast hw is the name for the coastal stretch between San Clemente and Oxnard. Up north it's called Cabrillo hw but we all just call it hw1 turns into 101 in NoCal.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome back!

When you drove from LA to SF before, what route did you take? Exactly when are you planning on taking this trip?
    We followed the coast road as I am a surfer. We will follow this road again.I'm particularly interested in the area north of SF.We will be travelling north from LA on or about 26th April 2015.

7. Default

Thank you for this wonderful information.We have about 12 days to get to Seattle & we will do the LA to SF pretty quickly. Do you think we would have time to visit Yosemite?

8. Default

I've just started to work out what we want to see & calculate some driving distances. We have decided to do the Banff drive after Alaska so I will post any queries on this thread. Thanks for your help.

If you are going to drive the coast road between LA and SF, you need to allow 2 days, even if you don't plan on any significant stops.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If you are going to drive the coast road between LA and SF, you need to allow 2 days, even if you don't plan on any significant stops.
    Yes, we are roughly planning 3 days LA to SF & then 7 from SF to Seattle. Do you think we could detour to Yosemite in that time?