Default LA, San Fran, Redwoods and Yosemite - 3 weeks

After our very successful road trip in 2013 my friends and I have decided to go on a trip again this July. We have 22 nights, and our priorities are Highway 1, San Francisco and Yosemite ++. I've come up with a route suggestion that covers more than that, based on the length of our previous road trip. The distance and driving time is OK, no need to comment on that. What I would like comments on is whether we should spend more or less time some places or add in/replace/skip stops. We need the first two days in LA to sleep off jetlag.

Map

Schedule (nights)
    01 Los Angeles
    02 Los Angeles
    03 Santa Barbara
    04 San Luis Obispo
    05 Big Sur/Monterey
    06 San Francisco
    07 San Francisco
    08 San Francisco
    09 San Francisco
    10 Napa Valley
    11 Napa Valley
    12 Mendocino
    13 Redwoods
    14 Redwoods
    15 Redwoods
    16 Lassen
    17 Lake Tahoe
    18 Lake Tahoe
    19 Yosemite
    20 Yosemite
    21 Yosemite
    22 Kings Canyon/Sequoia

Default Looks good !

It looks like a very relaxed trip where you have done your homework carefully. If '22' is your last night in the States and you need to get back to LA from Sequoia for a flight, I would perhaps spend 1 less night in SF, but other than that, if the above works for you there is no need to change it. When you say 'Redwoods' I presume you mean bit of time in Humboltd [Avenue of the Giants] and the National Park ?

One other popular choice to consider is cahnging the direction of your trip. This would give you the advantage of having the Ocean on your side of the road while heading south. It's also easier to pull into Ocean side viewpoints as you won't have to drive across traffic.

Reversing direction makes all the sense in the world, thank you for pointing that out! That way we do away with the longest legs first and then get into the relaxing spirit of Napa valley and the coastal highway towards the end. Plus the advantages you mentioned of course. In that case our last stop will be Santa Barbara, which is where we spent the last night on our previous trip as well, well within distance of LAX.

Both Humboldt and Redwoods parks are planned for, yes.

Are there any specific recommendations/poi's in Kings Kanyon/Sequoia other than big trees, or is our time better spent driving directly to Yosemite from LA?

Default Everyplace has its attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by agjell View Post
    Are there any specific recommendations/poi's in Kings Canyon/Sequoia other than big trees, or is our time better spent driving directly to Yosemite from LA?
    I agree with Dave, this looks like a nicely planned trip.

In Seqouia there is the General Sherman tree, said to be the largest living land based thing on earth.

Kings Canyon is a heck of a drive, and if you have the time, I would not miss it.

Lifey

If you are mainly staying in LA to recover from jet lag as you say, what I would probably do is leave LA in the afternoon of day 2 and spend the night out of the Basin which would make a shorter journey into Sequoia the next day and avoid the LA morning 'rush'. You could stay around Bakersfield or continue closer to the park, such as Porterville, Exeter or Three rivers which is as close as you can get to the southern entrance. Exploring the park the following morning and continuing to Yosemite will give you time for an enjoyable day and to walk around the Giants forest etc. If you want to drive into Kings canyon then you may want to stop short of Yosemite, Oakhurst having a good selection of lodgings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    ...In Seqouia there is the General Sherman tree, said to be the largest living land based thing on earth.
    Kings Canyon is a heck of a drive, and if you have the time, I would not miss it...
    OK, then we'll keep that in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    If you are mainly staying in LA to recover from jet lag as you say, what I would probably do is leave LA in the afternoon of day 2 and spend the night out of the Basin which would make a shorter journey into Sequoia the next day and avoid the LA morning 'rush'. You could stay around Bakersfield or continue closer to the park, such as Porterville, Exeter or Three rivers which is as close as you can get to the southern entrance. Exploring the park the following morning and continuing to Yosemite will give you time for an enjoyable day and to walk around the Giants forest etc. If you want to drive into Kings canyon then you may want to stop short of Yosemite, Oakhurst having a good selection of lodgings.
    I did think about leaving LA earlier, but my we might need a day for shopping and trip preparations. Also, based on previous experience it was nice to have a place where a lot happens at night to force us to stay awake and get in sync. I'll look into the options and discuss it with my buddies. Good tip about Oakhurst, thanks!