Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Francisco down the coast to Los Angeles, across to Vegas, seeing Sequoia.

Greetings to the group. My wife and I will be making a trip to the west coast in June of this year. We will be spending a couple of days in Denver, driving the Trail Ridge Road and seeing that loop. We will then fly to Seattle and spend a couple of days in that area seeing the sights. The next part of the trip is flying into Oakland (Southwest has the best nonstop option for us from Seattle), and also the rental car prices seem to be almost half of picking one up at San Fran. We will then make our way down the Pacific Coast Highway and then across to Vegas. We are also wanting to see the Sequoia park. I know there are many threads on this type of trip, and I plan to weed through all of them and try to gleam as much information as I can. If there are particular things I need to know/avoid/plan for, I would be eternally grateful. travel will be by car or small suv and we will staying at places along the road. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give us.
    Last edited by Jcvfd12; 01-09-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The key question is how much time do you have for this section of the trip. While Sequoia and Las Vegas aren't that far apart as the crow flies, there's no option to cross the Sierra's at Sequoia National Park, so it is pretty much a full day between the two points. Of course, Yosemite and Death Valley are two other parks you could consider in the area - and Tioga Pass through Yosemite would provide access over the Sierras, assuming it is open when you are traveling (it typically opens between mid-may and mid-june).

For rental cars, you might consider looking at off-airport locations. Last year, I rented a car from a Hertz location about a mile from the San Francisco airport (it was close enough that they dropped us off at an airport tram stop after the rental, although they couldn't actually take us to the terminal) and the price was significantly cheaper than renting from an on airport location. Of course, if you're looking to do a one way trip your options might be limited, and you could be looking at a noteworthy one way drop fee that you'll need to look out for.

We will be arriving in the Bay area on June 2nd or 3rd. (Tues/Wed) and would like to be in Vegas by Monday or Tuesday of the next week. I realize that this is a lot of miles to cover in that amount of time, and the priority for this trip is the ride down the coast. We were just wondering if it is doable as long as we don't linger in any one spot for too long.

Default It's doable.

Yosemite has a grove of giant Sequoia's at Mariposa Grove but also has a lot more on offer, an awesome place!. You could consider driving inland from SF and spend a couple of nights before heading back to the coast around Monterey and then spend a bit of time exploring around Big Sur etc down to LA. On route to LV you could overnight in Death valley and explore the park.

Default Another route.

Rather than go inland and back to the coast, I would head down the coast from SF and stay around the Cambria / Morro Bay area. Then head inland to Yosemite on route 41 - a lovely scenic drive. If you choose to skip Sequoia, given the trees at Mariposa, then you could head over Tioga Pass (if it is open), through Death Valley (worth a night) onto LV. If The Pass is not open, you would go via Sequoia round the southern end of the Sierras, onto LV. You could still take a detour through DV. If this is a loop trip, you could choose Tioga Pass one way and Sequoia on the way back.

Lifey

Default Agreed, but is LA a 'must do' ?

Rather than go inland and back to the coast, I would head down the coast from SF and stay around the Cambria / Morro Bay area. Then head inland to Yosemite on route 41 -
    I would certainly agree with that and the only reason I didn't mention it was your 'wish' to go all the way to LA. However, if it were me I would skip LA for the route over the mountains described above.

Folks, I am so thankful for the help and advice so far. The parameters of our trip has changed due in no small part to the one way rental fee for the car. we will be picking up the car in Vegas on June 2nd and heading out from there to the west coast making loop back to Vegas. I will start a new thread asking for help for the new plans. thanks.

Actually, please continue to ask your questions here, in this thread. While the starting point may have changed, it's still the same trip, and we'd prefer if you keep the questions here. Thanks.

Default The evolution of a roadtrip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcvfd12 View Post
    The parameters of our trip has changed ...
    This is much more common than you would think. Few trips take place on a first draft. The typical evolution is.....

The dream
    The plan
    The reality
    New plan
    The actual trip.

Lifey

The trip has morphed into leaving Vegas early am on Tuesday June 2nd and making our way toward Yosemite. Then traveling across to San Fran and making our way down the PCH to LA and then back to Vegas arriving on Tuesday the 9th. We are newbies on that side of the country as it applies to road trips like this, and are open to all the suggestions and advice we can get.