Default From Memphis to San Diego

Hi! I am planning a road trip from Memphis to San Diego this summer with 3 teenagers. I am planning approximately 5 day to get there and 5 days to get back home with a week in between visiting my son in Coronado, CA. I plan on taking the "Northern" route from Memphis to San Diego, and the "Southern" route on the return trip. Looking for fun and quirky roadside attractions that won't be too time consuming and natural wonders, points of interest, etc that are a must see. We are definitely detouring for the Grand Canyon and the Painted Dessert. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any fun, quirky or must see diners, ice cream shops, etc that are not too expensive would be awesome. I want to make this a trip of a lifetime for my teenagers with lots of fun, laughs and surprises.

Default Some fun things near Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Atkinson
    Also any fun, quirky or must see diners, ice cream shops, etc that are not too expensive would be awesome.
    Sounds like you’ll be passing through New Mexico at some point, so here’s a good local restaurant reviewer’s blog.

I want to make this a trip of a lifetime for my teenagers with lots of fun, laughs and surprises.
    Just outside of Albuquerque, about ten minutes off the Interstate, is the Tinkertown Museum. This is just one the attractions along the Turquoise Trail Scenic Byway that runs from Albuquerque to Santa Fe.

Default A few more ideas.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Five days is a reasonable amount of time for a relaxed journey each way with time for a little sight seeing. Before Albu the kids might enjoy a stop at Cadillac ranch near Amarillo and take part in a little [welcome] grafitti. After Grand canyon you could take a stretch of Old route 66 through Seligman to Kingman. Lot's of 'quirk' and diners to choose from. You could also head through Oatman and enjoy the wild mules walking around town and on to Joshua Tree NP. On the way home, Tombstone and Carlsbad Caverns are a couple that come to mind.

Don't forget to "go stand on the corner" in Winslow, AZ! Also, if you are near Holbrook, AZ when it's time to call it a day, you can stay in a wigwam.

Default Some 'Unique' Sites to Consider

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Five days each way may sound like a lot, and indeed it will leave you time to comfortably visit a few sites that aren't right at an exit, but you are still going to have to carefully budget your time and keep an eye on the calendar and map to make sure that you don't have to rush at the end of either leg. With that in mind, here are a few intriguing, scenic, educational or just plain quirky sites in each direction.

Westbound along I-40: The Oklahoma City Memorial, Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo, Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, the longest remaining stretch of old Route 66 between Seligman and Kingman AZ (This was the visual inspiration for the movie "Cars".), London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, and Joshua Tree National Park.

Eastbound along I-10: thePacific Southwest Railway Museum in El Campo, Desert View Tower in Jacumba, Yuma Territorial Prison, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and/or the Pima Air and Space Museum (both in Tucson), Tombstone, Monahans Sandhills, the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, and Crater of Diamonds outside Murfreesboro AK.

As I say, You won't be able to see all those, but that should give you an idea of what's available for you and the kids to choose from.

AZBuck

Wow...thanks for all the great ideas...I didn't even think about tombstone, or Winslow, and it would be awesome to spend the night in a wigwam.Tinkertown Museum sounds like a fun stop. Crater of DIAMONDS!!! Definitely gonna check that out!
    Our travel time is not too restrictive. The kids will be out of school and I have the summer off.

7. Default The Traveler

Hi Kathy, I love the ideas that you are receiving, i would like to add Pink Jeeps Tour in Sedona for that off road jeep experience through the red rock terrian surrounding Sedona. Check out the website pinkjeepssedona.com.