Default New York to Seattle via the South and the West

Hi there!

Myself and my partner are travelling to the USA from the UK on March 10th and we leave the USA on June 2nd.

Our first stop is in New York and we are planning to travel down the east coast and through into the south (Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana) then into Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon and finishing in Seattle.

We are in the USA for 84 days and already have 34 days accommodation paid for (NYC, Philadelphia, D.C, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Seattle). Our hire car is also paid for and we will be driving an economy car (Chevrolet Spark or similar).

We are currently trying to budget how much we will need in spending/gas/accommodation money for our roadtrip. We don't think we will be travelling more than 10,000 miles and we only need accommodation for 50 days. We will have a tent so camping is an option. We are pretty used to being on a budget and would like to stay in motels/hostels/airbnb.

Does anyone have a rough idea on how much we would need per day for general costs such as food and entertainment and gas and how much an average stay at a motel outside of a major city is?

I believe our hire car does 32mpg and we are looking to do a lot of sightseeing involving hiking and outdoor activities (not too fussed about spending a lot of money for entertainment).

Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Emily :)

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Being that you'll be on the road for 3 months, I think you'll find it could be quite possible that you'll actually travel more than 10,000 miles. In any case, I'd probably factor 10k miles, at 30 mpg, and $3 a gallon. That would put you at $1,000 for fuel. You might drive less, you might get better mpg, and gas prices might stay low, but that should give you the upper end of what you can expect.

Budget motels can usually be found for around $50 a night, with campsites often being around $20-25.

Food and Entertainment is almost entirely up to you, and could vary widely depending upon how often you go out. At a minimum, if you cook a lot of your own food, I'd plan $15 per day per person.

While I it sounds like you have already booked much of your trip, it is worth noting that doing a full loop - driving back to NY - would likely save you quite a bit of money, especially with your airfare and car rental. With 3 months, you've got the time to consider it.

For food costs, what you can do is think how much food would cost you in the UK in pounds, and it will cost about the same here in dollars (If a meal in the UK is 20 pounds, it will be $20 here).

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Being that you'll be on the road for 3 months, I think you'll find it could be quite possible that you'll actually travel more than 10,000 miles. In any case, I'd probably factor 10k miles, at 30 mpg, and $3 a gallon. That would put you at $1,000 for fuel. You might drive less, you might get better mpg, and gas prices might stay low, but that should give you the upper end of what you can expect.

Budget motels can usually be found for around $50 a night, with campsites often being around $20-25.

Food and Entertainment is almost entirely up to you, and could vary widely depending upon how often you go out. At a minimum, if you cook a lot of your own food, I'd plan $15 per day per person.

While I it sounds like you have already booked much of your trip, it is worth noting that doing a full loop - driving back to NY - would likely save you quite a bit of money, especially with your airfare and car rental. With 3 months, you've got the time to consider it.
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply!

We don't pick up our car until Washington D.C so we've already got about 3 weeks booked before we get the car so we will have it for 9 weeks. We are keen on going off the beaten track so we could do more than 10,000 miles you're right! $1,000 was what we were budgeting for so it's good to know we are estimating the right amount.

Our flights out of Seattle are already booked so we can't do the trip back and unfortunately we've been stuck with a nice $500 one way fee to pay when we pick up the vehicle. This is all within our budget though.

We will both be coming to the USA with around $7,000 each, $14,000 total so I hope this will be enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Louise Church View Post
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply!

We don't pick up our car until Washington D.C so we've already got about 3 weeks booked before we get the car so we will have it for 9 weeks. We are keen on going off the beaten track so we could do more than 10,000 miles you're right! $1,000 was what we were budgeting for so it's good to know we are estimating the right amount.

Our flights out of Seattle are already booked so we can't do the trip back and unfortunately we've been stuck with a nice $500 one way fee to pay when we pick up the vehicle. This is all within our budget though.

We will both be coming to the USA with around $7,000 each, $14,000 total so I hope this will be enough!!
    You know a car like that is tiny and I would not recommend it for a long roadtrip like yours. Very little trunkspace and you'll prob have a lot including camping gear.