Default Boston to Niagara via?

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I am 30 and recently married and we are planning a trip on the East Coast of the US and potentially Canada. For the first part of it I am taking my mother (60).

We arrriving in NY late August for a week then planning on Boston for a few nights.

We have an end goal for that section of the trip to stay a night or two on the Ontario side of the falls. However, I am kinda at a loss what is the best to do in between.

We have the option of going straight from Boston there and saving "days" for later in our trip (we are continuing on to Florida). Alternatively, we can spend 3-5 days getting there and doing things.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Have considered any combination of going via Montreal and Ottawa....to drivin straight through and stopping somewhere random.

We have interest in all sorts of things. We aren't particular 'outdoor activity" type people but love beautiful and interesting places, history, and food and wine.

Would really appreciate some suggestions or help.

Then I might hit you up for a query about our second part of the trip :)

Default The whole picture.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Would you care to share the whole trip with us at this point. The time you have for all of it, how you plan to travel - I recommend taking the train from NYC to Boston - and the places already on your to do list. It will be much easier to give relevant advice when members have the complete picture.

Lifey

Default Personally...

I would suggest that you spend as much time as you can comfortably afford in New England, both between New York and Boston as well as between Boston and Québec. And given the choice between Québec and Montréal, I would opt to spend more time in Québec which has much more of the flavor of a European city than the more cosmopolitan and bilingual Montréal. A trip up the St. Lawrence, through the Thousand Islands region and across the northern tips of the Finger Lakes would make a nice drive connecting French Canada and Niagara Falls. As for your continuation down the east coast, you have several choices outlined here.

AZBuck

Thanks for your post!

I've been looking at the train to get around but it seems complicated and on the expensive side. In saying that at least the NYC-Boston leg looks quite straightforward and we really wont be spending any time in the car once in Boston.

Our trip is very loose at the moment.

We fly into NYC and spend a week there. We then plan to go to Boston for 2 nights. We all up have 26 nights to enjoy- we fly out of Orlando at the end the trip ( a transfer to Dallas then the world's longer commercial flight from Dallas to Sydney).

The only other must stops are Niagarra (preferably 2 nights), Washington D.C (3 nights), and overnight stops in Charlotte and Augusta to visit friends.

I am sort of splitting the trip up into two with NYC to Washington D.C and Washington D.C to Orlando. I haven't really gotten my head around how best to tackle Orlando via CHarlotte and Augusta.

As said above, should we be looking at getting to Niagarra as quick as possible from Boston and doing more from Washington to Orlando, or should we make the effort Quebec City, Montreal etc. The drive from Boston to Quebec stills seems a hefty one, or even to Montreal.

Thanks also Azbuck. That link in particular was very helpful.

Default A few options.

In NYC you will not want a car. Parking is difficult to find and expensive when you do find a spot. On the other hand, public transport is excellent to get around the city. Boston is also expensive and difficult to park, and has a good transport system to get around.. I would not rent a car till you are ready to leave Boston. Be sure when booking a car that you mention you want to take it into Canada. Not all companies allow it. For rental cars, check out the consolidators/brokers. Often these can be at a great saving. Here is a member who had great satisfaction renting through a broker.

Between NYC and Boston you can get either an Amtrak or a commuter train. The latter does not take checked luggage, so you would have to carry that yourself.

In the past I have taken several routes to Niagara from Boston. From memory, it was straight down I-90 in 2004; in 2007 I went up to Montreal first (and hated it!!), within not too many hours I was back in upstate NY. Then cut from Pottersville to Utica, through the mountains. That was a beautiful trip. Then followed secondary highways to Niagara Falls. In 2012 it was US-20 all the way through upstate NY. This route has a great deal of European history and architecture along the scenic eastern half. The western half takes you by the Finger Lakes, a lovely area to linger a while. As I drove around the lakes, I noticed quite a few small hotels.

This reminds me, be sure to carry good detailed maps. Do not be tempted to rely solely on electronics. Some have done so at their peril. Take your NRMA membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. You could pick up detailed maps of all States through which you plan to travel while in NYC. As well, get detailed maps of NYC, Boston, DC and other major urban centres you will be passing through.

I'm not sure about NYC, but Boston tourism has an excellent public transport map.

Your trip looks like a nice relaxed trip. I can't tell you as much about the trip further down, till you get to FL. Much of my time is spent in Boston, where my son lives, and a lot is spent in Southern FL where my daughter lives.

Lifey

Thanks Lifey.

I am pretty much resigned to training it to Boston and hiring a car from there. I will check out a few of those routes to the falls.