1. Default Vegas to San Francisco (3 weeks)

Hi all,

We are planning a 3 week road trip beginning in Las Vegas and ending in San Fran 3 weeks later.

Current plan for an itinerary is not complete and any advice would be accepted. I have visited a lot of these places already but as part of trekamerica tour when I was younger so have not driven myself and my girlfriend has never been to the U.S..

We are planning Vegas > Zion > Grand Canyon> Monument Valley > Sedona > Scottsdale > *to be confirmed* > Yosemite > San Francisco.

So there is a leg of the journey that we are still undecided upon between Scottsdale and Yosemite. My planning suggests we will probably have 5 days to fill here and I am not sure of the best options. It probably would have been better if our starting and end points were different but unfortunately that cannot be changed.

One option is to go across to San Diego (as this is somewhere I actually haven't been) then drive up either interstate or along the coast stopping 1/2 places along the way.

Another may be to drive to Lake Havasu then onwards to Death Valley then to Yosemite.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be most grateful, and comments/feedback on the rest of the route is welcome if you think it could be improved. I have thought about dropping 1 stopover to extend this section if needs be.

We will be camping in many spots so happy to stopover in the great outdoors or towns.

Many thanks.

South of England.

Default Whatever is 'best' for you.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

One of the main points of any road trip advice given here is, is that there is no genric 'best', it simply comes down to what appeals to you and your girlfriend the most to make this trip special and unique to you. Yosemite is one of my favourite places on earth and is something that would be included in my plans for sure. Have you considered visiting Bryce canyon while in Southern Utah ? Between Scottsdale and DV you could also drive through the Mojave National preserve, but if you do go to Yosemite you really want to spend at least a couple of days there. If there was no particular reason for going all the way south to Scottsdale you could even consider visiting Capitol Reef NP by driving scenic 12 and UT 24 and then drive south to Mexican Hat and into Monument valley from the east.